Main Site | Forum Index | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |  Register |  Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

Is that Windows 7 I see in your pocket or are you just hap..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> All Things Computers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Is that Windows 7 I see in your pocket or are you just hap.. Reply with quote

Here is a nice article with a lot of tentative info and some screenshots for the new Windows 7 due to release in 2010.

http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/windows_7.asp

P.S. Just so you know up front, I couldn't give a hamster's hiney whether you like or hate Vista, hate Micro$oft in general, think Windows 98 was the last good Windows version, are skipping Vista and Windows 7 and will continue to run XP until you are 82 years old, or have drunk the coolaid and think that Google Gears will replace Windows altogether. Wink

Just the best info on Windows 7 I could find, for what it is worth.

Last edited by {uZa}Lonesome Eagle on Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Author
sCaryDeth
Post Ho

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahahahah You crack me up Lonesome. Laughing

Author
{uZa}Renegade
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When does Vista come out of Beta Razz

http://tinyurl.com/yobjfs

Author
Morgoth
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how Microsoft still makes tools like Paint, Calculator, and their searching tools seem like such a huge deal... like those are the reasons we pay $300 for an operating system. Who are they trying to sell it to, a 5th grader?

I do however like the improved home networking features/ home library. We'll see if it actually works.

And what ever really happened to the MinWin kernel and WinFS? Did they just fail terribly? I bet they did.

I just hope there aren't 50 different versions of this one coming out. That makes it really confusing. I know many grabbed Vista Ultimate... but after looking over them all the best I could.... I could see no reason for me to use it. The home premium version would work for me best I think.

And I hate how OEM's can only be used once. Big reason I love my XP.

http://docer.blogspot.com/

Author
:[GOB]:JackC
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morgoth wrote:

And I hate how OEM's can only be used once. Big reason I love my XP.

Not true. I bought a Vista OEM because it was cheap and since then, I have formated about 4 times (No fault to Vista, I just format often) and it worked everytime no problem. The 'problem' comes into play when you change I think 5 pieces or hardware on the machine, this will then trigger up an activation problem where Windows believes it's not the original machine it was intended for. It's not a problem, you just simply phone up Microsoft (did this MANY times with XP OEM due to upgrading) and tell them it's the same machine, and that you just upgraded and they just reactivate it.
This OEM can only be used once fallacy is really not true. If you try activating the same serial code on say 5 machines, then of course it's not going to work. But if you buy an OEM disk, don't upgrade, format, then reinstall Windows again, it WILL activate.

I've not changed anything in my Vista rig and as I say, have formated many times and it just kept on activating. Maybe when I install more ram and then format it, I will need to contact Microsoft. But this literally is a 5 minute process once you're through to them. This is why I always buy OEM. Only difference is you don't get the fancy packaging and you are not allowed to install on multiple machines. But if I remember right, you can't do that with a retail version anyway so....

The activation process rules are no different between XP and Vista, and Vista really isn't that bad lol.

Author
Morgoth
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now anymore with my XP, I have to call each time anyway... so as long as that works. People do, like myself, upgrade, or carry over OS's to newer PC's.. so maybe when Windows 7 comes out, I can still get an OEM copy. I just thought it was much more difficult and they just wouldn't let you do it.

Author
sCaryDeth
Post Ho

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only MUST REMAIN piece of hardware with VISTA OEMs is the Motherboard.

As mentioned in this article though, depending on the person you get on the other line, they'll usually submit if you give them a good sob story about a failed motherboard:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070130-8730.html

Author
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No no no, think how many people have OEM copies and upgrade computers. And as OEM copies are designed for computer technicians, they are bound to update the system it's installed on.

Just explain to them that you have installed a new piece of hardware and now it's asking for activation and that it's only going to be installed on the one computer and they'll give you a new code. Smile

Author
sCaryDeth
Post Ho

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:[GOB]:JackC wrote:
No no no, think how many people have OEM copies and upgrade computers. And as OEM copies are designed for computer technicians, they are bound to update the system it's installed on.

Just explain to them that you have installed a new piece of hardware and now it's asking for activation and that it's only going to be installed on the one computer and they'll give you a new code. Smile

Have you actually done this with Vista? Sounds almost as if you're speaking on the way things were with XP. Although the wording's the same basically, they're actually starting to enforce it now to where they didn't at all in the past.

Do you have anything other than your word that states what you're saying? Everything I read tells me that they are enforcing this much harder now but I have no personal experience with it since the release of Vista.

Author
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sCaryDeth wrote:
:[GOB]:JackC wrote:

Have you actually done this with Vista? Sounds almost as if you're speaking on the way things were with XP. Although the wording's the same basically, they're actually starting to enforce it now to where they didn't at all in the past.

Do you have anything other than your word that states what you're saying? Everything I read tells me that they are enforcing this much harder now but I have no personal experience with it since the release of Vista.

I'm speaking primarily about XP but I have formated Vista a good few times and haven't changed any hardware and it just activates every time.

As long as you don't change any hardware (or up to 5 pieces or something) you'll be able to activate as many times as you like.

As for sources other than my own experience, I came across this Microsoft article on the first page of searching on Google:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/quick-start/activation-faq.aspx

Quote:
How many times can I install Windows on my computer before I have to activate Windows again?

You can reinstall Windows on the same computer as many times as you want because activation pairs the Windows product key with information about your computer's hardware. If you make a significant hardware change, you might have to activate Windows again.

See. So if you have the same hardware, format everyday if you want to. If you DO change a significant ammount of hardware (motherboard change instantly requires reactivation), be prepared to have to call up Microsoft and just convince them it is the same computer, you've just upgraded a component. I've not had a MS Rep say no, because I have upgraded a component, people must do it all the time.
As I understand it and from my experience. If you have an OEM copy, format as much as you like.
I think the deal with the 'if you change X ammount of hardware you'll have to contact them' thing is mainly to do with the motherboard. If you change the motherboard, theoretically, it can be a completely different machine. But that's up to you to convince MS it's your machine, just with a new motherboard. Again, from my experience, the reps don't seem to care too much and just give you a key. The whole 'only activate once' rubbish is completely...rubbish.

Hope that's enough proof though. Wink

Word of personal advice, if you do format and wish to reactivate, it might pay to leave your machine formated for 24 hours. I think when I formated my XP, then reinstalled it straight away and went to activate it said it was already activated. After much worrying and sweating and daring to open my wallet I tried again a few hours later and it worked. Must take time to update or something.

Author
sCaryDeth
Post Ho

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do I even bother with these internet pissing matches?

You linked and quoted info for RETAIL copies. Not OEM. You can't just simply online activate it. The code gets tied into your motherboard. Can you get around this by calling in and lying about it? Of course you probably can. That's what I said to begin with.

With XP you didn't even have to do that. I'm just saying it's not quite as simple as it used to be.

I'm done here. I have better things to do but do me a favor and show me where Microsoft says it's ok to install an OEM copy to more than that one PC that you originally installed it on.

Author
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sCaryDeth wrote:
Why do I even bother with these internet pissing matches?

You linked and quoted info for RETAIL copies. Not OEM. You can't just simply online activate it. The code gets tied into your motherboard. Can you get around this by calling in and lying about it? Of course you probably can. That's what I said to begin with.

With XP you didn't even have to do that. I'm just saying it's not quite as simple as it used to be.

I'm done here. I have better things to do but do me a favor and show me where Microsoft says it's ok to install an OEM copy to more than that one PC that you originally installed it on.

Wow, bit aggressive don't you think?

I don't know if you misread or if I typed it and it came across incorrectly but I never said you could install it on more than one PC. I said you can install it as many times as you want on the SAME PC providing you don't change any hardware, and IF you do, it is still possible, it's just you will have to phone Microsoft. And Yes, I do mean Vista. I thought I posted it clear enough, obviously not.

And for clarification, my bad about the link. Here. I know it's not a Microsoft link but of course they are going to say "one use only", to get you to buy another one. Rolling Eyes thieves:

http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080610133822AAJSRf9

Quote:
How many times can I install a Vista OEM DVD? Again?!!?

Quote:
You can re-formatt and install an OEM as many times as you like as long as it is never on a different machine...
...OEM's can be installed on one machine as many times as you like.

^Which is what I said.

No disrespect but if you're going to fly off the handle at me for no reason then forget it. I didn't intend for you to get annoyed, chill. o_O

Author
sCaryDeth
Post Ho

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry dude, but I hate... I mean HATE false information especially when it deals with PC's because there's so many people out there that will take a persons word as gospel and shell out hard earned money just to get screwed when they decide it's time to upgrade their system and find out they wasted $200 or whatever on an OS that's no longer usable.

Now, you keep saying that you can format and re-install. Of course you can. You can even replace major hardware components like Video Cards, etc. All I'm saying is, FROM WHAT I'VE READ, you're not supposed to be able to replace your motherboard and continue to use the same OS.

You also keep saying that this is the way it was in XP. You can NOT base this off of the way things were with XP. Although this has always been part of the OEM agreement, it wasn't enforced until Vista came out.

I'll be interested to see how things pan out for you once you actually do a Motherboard upgrade and try to use the OEM copy of Vista. I'd LOVE to find out that it's not an issue after all. My wife's been harrassing me to get Vista on her PC so I could just get her an OEM copy.

BTW, yea, I'm a bit of a dick. I expecially take offense when someone comes at me in a demeaning manner (The no no no to start off your response to me). That's why I hate Internet Pissing matches and generally don't post much other than to people I know and respect already.

Author
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sCaryDeth wrote:

BTW, yea, I'm a bit of a dick. I expecially take offense when someone comes at me in a demeaning manner (The no no no to start off your response to me). That's why I hate Internet Pissing matches and generally don't post much other than to people I know and respect already.

It's so hard to write through this haze of bitter crying, and I'm more of a jerk than a dude. Wink

Author
Morgoth
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Scary mentioned is about all I have read as well... and knowing myself, I would want to install it on maybe 2 to 3 different mother boards perhaps. But who knows.. I've been using the same Socket 939 board now for some years now and still truckin' along just fine. The problem is, I don't think I will find a current motherboard that will be as reliable or useful for that amount of time.

When and if I buy Winblowsnuts7, I may just have to fork out the extra dough for a retail copy.

But if my favorite games get produced for Linux Distros by that time... its by by WinslowZZZZZZnutssucksasskthxbye.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> All Things Computers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: