Main Site | Forum Index | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |  Register |  Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

Computer problems.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> All Things Computers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author
SnipeElite
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Computer problems. Reply with quote

Since a couple days ago, I have been getting these pop-up messages from Windows Defender saying it found a spyware program on my computer and when i click "Protect" it brings me to the site to buy Windows Defender. I ran my other virus scanner and it didn't come up with anything. However, as i was playing the Call Of Duty 5 beta I received the Blue Screen. I system restored my computer, but I'm paranoid now. What should I do?

Author
Morgoth
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling neither issues had something to do with one another. The windows proggie could just be BS to get you to buy the app... just DL spybot, run that, and immunize the system with it. Make sure it's updated.

W/ COD5, make sure you have the latest videocard drivers from the manufacturers website ie. EVGA etc.

http://docer.blogspot.com/

Author
{uZa}Canadian Girl
Post Ho

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok off topic...but I love your sig Snipe Elite, so funny. Smile

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Computer problems. Reply with quote

SnipeElite wrote:
Since a couple days ago, I have been getting these pop-up messages from Windows Defender saying it found a spyware program on my computer and when i click "Protect" it brings me to the site to buy Windows Defender. I ran my other virus scanner and it didn't come up with anything. However, as i was playing the Call Of Duty 5 beta I received the Blue Screen. I system restored my computer, but I'm paranoid now. What should I do?

Spyware and Virus' are two different things on a computer. You need to have a decent Antivirus running (Avast, AntiVir, Kaspersky, AVG etc.) to protect you from worms, trojans and the like. You also need a decent Anti-spyware / malware program (MalwareBytes AntiMalware, AdAware, Spyware Doctor etc.) to protect you from password/keystroke stealers, programs that look for data on your hard drive and phone home with the info, spam mailers that use your computer to send out millions of emails, browser hijackers and the like.

Your antivirus should be running all the time. Spyware / malware programs can be run every couple of weeks to keep things cleaned up.

Don't pay for either. It's stupid. My personal recommendations are

1) for antivirus, get Avast. It's free and does a great job. Others are good too, but I like the way Avast works.

2) for anti-spyware, get MalwareBytes AntiMalware at a minimum, and you may want to get SpyBot Search and Destroy as well. Doesn't hurt to have two, you don't run them all the time taking up resources and one may find something the other doesn't.

Your problem:

Boot up in "Safe" mode (hit F8 when the computer first starts booting) and when you get to Windows in safe mode, run a scan using your antivirus program, then your Anti-spyware program. It should clean things up just fine.

The Call of Duty problem is likely unrelated, but it COULD be. I have had some instabilities with the beta myself (although not to the point of The Blue Screen of Death). The full version is out in a few days, so lets see how that works.

________

Author
SnipeElite
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gomer saved me. Actually found out that that Windows Defender was actually a spyware program. Thank god I system restored and ran SpyBot. Thanks for all your help, guys.

Author
{uZa}Renegade
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defender comes with Vista But you can get the real one free from microsoft if you want it for XP.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=435bfce7-da2b-4a6a-afa4-f7f14e605a0d&DisplayLang=en

http://tinyurl.com/yobjfs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> All Things Computers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: