Main Site | Forum Index | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |  Register |  Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

HELP!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> All Things Computers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author
{uZa}HiTechRedneck
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: HELP!!! Reply with quote

Ok, here is the problem... I had an XP machine go up in smoke (MB and PS)... I went out and bought a new machine that runs Vista... (This was all a while back)... I installed the HD from my old machine (OEM, so I cannot boot to it anymore)... I can access all of my programs and files that were installed in the general (public/shared) areas, but when I try to copy the documents (XLS, DOC, JPG, etc) from "F:\documents and settings\eric\my documents", I find that I do not have permission to do this... I am the admin account on this computer... I cannot open these files, copy them, or even change the permissions on them... Any ideas???

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: HELP!!! Reply with quote

{uZa}HiTechRedneck wrote:
Ok, here is the problem... I had an XP machine go up in smoke (MB and PS)... I went out and bought a new machine that runs Vista... (This was all a while back)... I installed the HD from my old machine (OEM, so I cannot boot to it anymore)... I can access all of my programs and files that were installed in the general (public/shared) areas, but when I try to copy the documents (XLS, DOC, JPG, etc) from "F:\documents and settings\eric\my documents", I find that I do not have permission to do this... I am the admin account on this computer... I cannot open these files, copy them, or even change the permissions on them... Any ideas???

Highlight a directory, right-click, properties, security, "advanced" at the bottom, then the "owner" tag. Assign ownership to "administrators" and you are all set.

Click that "lean about object ownership" link at the bottom to get more info and understand how it works.

Author
:[GOB]:JackC
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Eagle said. But to save going through all that everytime you need to. I recommend downloading this:

http://www.howtogeek.com/downloads/TakeOwnership.zip

Unzip the registry key to your desktop, open it. It will say it will make some changes obviously, click yes to continue. After it's completed you will see if you right click on a file, you will see the option "Take Ownership". Pressing this does the exact same as what Eagle said. Once you have ownership of the file you can do with it what you please. Definatly worth having IMO.

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:[GOB]:JackC wrote:
What Eagle said. But to save going through all that everytime you need to. I recommend downloading this:

http://www.howtogeek.com/downloads/TakeOwnership.zip

Unzip the registry key to your desktop, open it. It will say it will make some changes obviously, click yes to continue. After it's completed you will see if you right click on a file, you will see the option "Take Ownership". Pressing this does the exact same as what Eagle said. Once you have ownership of the file you can do with it what you please. Definatly worth having IMO.

Handy... I am a bit stingy with what gets added to my right-click menus, as I hate clutter there, and I have had to "take ownership" of a file I think twice in 2 years, so I probably wouldn't install this, but it certainly is a quicker way to resolve a problem like HiTech is having.

________

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, folks should not go nuts with this "take ownership" thing. Many protected system / Windows files are assigned to "SYSTEM" for a reason, to keep virus' and malware from changing or replacing them. It's a BAD idea to go overboard on moving ownership to your account or "administrators" if you don't need to.

________

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> All Things Computers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: