Main Site | Forum Index | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |  Register |  Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

RAM
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> All Things Computers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author
{uZa}HiTechRedneck
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

{uZa}Studdog +SC+ wrote:
sCaryDeth wrote:
You guys are nerds. Cool

To put it precisely, they are OLD NERDS! Laughing

Now THERE'S the pot calling the kettles black...

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that you young whipersnappers are missing is having grown up with this stuff back when it was so (relatively) simple that you could actually understand it.

As it has evolved and gotten so complex that nobody even comes close to understanding how it all works under the covers (the best you can do now is specialize in one area of the technology and get really good at that, NOBODY understands all of it anymore) those of us who grew up with it have the advantage of understanding not just the "how" (lots of young folks are good at getting things working, they just google it) but the "why". Why do these foul creatures we call computer behave the way they do?

Having some sense of how the underpinnings work (it's all still zero's and one's, memory addresses, interrupts and ports at the end of the day, even now...) makes it easier to deal with the more complex stuff since you know "why" it needs to work the way it does.

I don't miss setting jumpers on every one of my cards/devices to resolve base memory and IO port conflicts, writing hideously complicated batch files in DOS to get anything done, tweaking QEMM to try and stretch that 640k of memory to an astounding 1.5meg by using "extended" and "expanded" memory functions, using AT commands to get that Hayes 1200 baud modem working so you could run your text-based PCBoard BBS system, (I was the president of the "Capitol Area Sysops Association" in I think 1987 or 1988) or trying to track down "memory leaks" in QuckBasic or C as these languages expected you to know how to use "put" to push values into memory, manage stack overflow and deal with hardware interrupts.

BUT - I'm glad I had the experience. The foundation makes working with complex systems like Windows or Linux a lot easier if you understand why the systems work like they do, and how they got that way.

Oh, and GET OFF MY LAWN... Wink

________

Author
Morgoth
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a nerd by any means (yeah right), but I kind of go by the feel of things... from what understanding I do have. I have a lot of experience in system building, and compatibility issues, but none whatsoever in software engineering and construction. To reverse it or find keys in a nice hidden micro archive is gravy... but if you ask me if I understand this crap.......

Pretty soon, as I see it.... RAM won't really matter any more, because it will all be integrated into out MOBO. As it sits, its just a piece of hype and social discussion to yell and scream about as if it made a huge difference in computing. Technology is so far past RAM... that only stupid people are buying it. And I don't mean that in an offensive way. It's just a few hardly upgraded chips anymore.

DDR3 - Windows 7 - AMD - Nvidia (cheap) You'll be fine

DDR - Linux/XP - AMD - Nvidia (dirt cheap) You'll be fine

Don't buy into the media/geek hype...

Just my two cents

Cool

My current system still is:

500W PSU Vantec Stealth
Antec Aluminum case w/ 2x 120mm fans
4200+ AMD dual core socket 939 (Aftermarket cooling)
ABiT F4tal1ty single pci-x 939
1GB (512x2) (THX DUPOONED) Corsair XMS timed in mobo to specs (not OC'ed)
EVGA 8600 GTX 128MB (w/ aftermarket cooling) ( not OC'ed)
Creative 7.1
320GB Seagate 16MB cache Slave
160GB Maxtor 8MB Main
Old M$ Intellipoint 3.0A Mouse,
$12 Fred Meyer Keyboard
20" LG LCD Flat 2ms response
LG Multi Burner

Needless to say,,,

Left -4- Dead still runs teh bombzors!!!!!!]

Author
{uZa}HiTechRedneck
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

{uZa}Lonesome Eagle wrote:
The thing that you young whipersnappers are missing is having grown up with this stuff back when it was so (relatively) simple that you could actually understand it.

As it has evolved and gotten so complex that nobody even comes close to understanding how it all works under the covers (the best you can do now is specialize in one area of the technology and get really good at that, NOBODY understands all of it anymore) those of us who grew up with it have the advantage of understanding not just the "how" (lots of young folks are good at getting things working, they just google it) but the "why". Why do these foul creatures we call computer behave the way they do?

Having some sense of how the underpinnings work (it's all still zero's and one's, memory addresses, interrupts and ports at the end of the day, even now...) makes it easier to deal with the more complex stuff since you know "why" it needs to work the way it does.

I don't miss setting jumpers on every one of my cards/devices to resolve base memory and IO port conflicts, writing hideously complicated batch files in DOS to get anything done, tweaking QEMM to try and stretch that 640k of memory to an astounding 1.5meg by using "extended" and "expanded" memory functions, using AT commands to get that Hayes 1200 baud modem working so you could run your text-based PCBoard BBS system, (I was the president of the "Capitol Area Sysops Association" in I think 1987 or 1988) or trying to track down "memory leaks" in QuckBasic or C as these languages expected you to know how to use "put" to push values into memory, manage stack overflow and deal with hardware interrupts.

BUT - I'm glad I had the experience. The foundation makes working with complex systems like Windows or Linux a lot easier if you understand why the systems work like they do, and how they got that way.

Oh, and GET OFF MY LAWN... Wink

Yeh, the good old days... Back when you actually had to know how to use a computer in order to use one... Thanks to GUI's like windows and apple, any idiot can use one...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> All Things Computers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: