Main Site | Forum Index | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |  Register |  Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

Eagle's Cool Software Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> All Things Computers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smart Defrag

I know I posted earlier about two good commercial defrag programs, but I recently found a new entry to the fray, and it is a free offering. This program seems to do much of what the pay ones do, including "smart" defrag which optimizes based on which files get the most use, background defrag that optimizes your drive whenever it is "idle" and stops when you start using the computer, and scheduled defrags which run at night while you are asleep to keep things tidied up.

It's really fast and seems to do a great job. Worth a look, the price is right.

http://www.iobit.com/iobitsmartdefrag.html?Str=download

________

Author
Morgoth
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows built in defrag is supposed to optimize as well by allocating your most used files.

I have noticed a lot on the free programs is that it is just a gui upgrade compared to Windows standard... but they run the same exact thing.

I started using Roxios after seeing you post it, and it seems to be pretty good. But that type of application can really only do so much anyway.

http://docer.blogspot.com/

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnVir Task Manager

An excellent new player in the advanced task manager field. This does pretty much everything you would want in a task manager, and adds very robust management of your startup programs (things that run when Windows starts) and Windows services. Download the free version, as mostly the pay version just adds the ability to lookup a process or file in their online database if you are not sure what it is. (you can just google the program or file)

So this pretty much replaces two very popular programs for managing your PC (Process Explorer and autoruns) with one pretty powerful program. Worth a look...

http://www.anvir.com/download.htm

In the "Startup Tab" you can control what loads or doesn't at Windows start. Hover over an entry to get detailed info.

In the "Processes" tab you control running processes. Again, hovering over the entry gives nice details.

In the "Services" tab, you control Windows services. Right click to start or stop and change properties. This Services manager is very nice. Much better than Windows services.msc

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeamViewer

I had posted earlier about UltraVNC, a progam to let you take control of another computer to provide support, fix a problem etc. This is a new entry to this field, and I have to say I am very impressed. It does pretty much the same thing, lets you connect to another computer, see the computer's screen, run programs, transfer files, chat, all with a secure encrypted password protected connection.

The advantages of TeamViewer is that it can be run without installing (so you can run it from a USB stick if you want) and is a complete no-brainer for the person on the other end to get a host working. You just send them a link to the software, they run it, and tell you the ID and Password it provides. Then you are off and running...

TeamViewer is completely free for personal non-commercial use.

http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

Author
sCaryDeth
Post Ho

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Eagle, what do recommend for encoding/burning DVD's? I use MAgic DVD Ripper for *cough* backing the original DVD's up, and then I USED to use Nero Vision to Encode/Burn to DVD-R's, but lately it's been giving me issues so I'm looking for other options.

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sCaryDeth wrote:
Hey Eagle, what do recommend for encoding/burning DVD's? I use MAgic DVD Ripper for *cough* backing the original DVD's up, and then I USED to use Nero Vision to Encode/Burn to DVD-R's, but lately it's been giving me issues so I'm looking for other options.

The best tool for converting .AVI files to DVD (and burning them to DVD-+R to watch on a regular player is ConvertXtoDVD (I posted about it earlier in this thread)

For copying store-bought DVDs and burning them to DVD-+R it's a bit more complicated. You need to get AnyDVD from Bittorrent. (there is a new version just released like two days ago). AnyDVD will run in memory and defeat the CSS copy protection on DVDs. Then I use "Xilisoft DVD Ripper Ultimate 5" (also available on Bittorrent) to rip the DVD to my hard drive in the standard .VOB format. Then you can just use Nero Burning Rom (the main program) to bun the TS_VIDEO folder with the .FOB and .VOB files in it to DVD and watch it anywhere.

You need to tell Nero that you are creating a "DVD-Video" so it creates the right directory structure on the disk, and put all the .FOB and .VOB files in the "TS_VIDEO" directory it wants to create on the DVD.

Hit me up in a PM if you need any of the software or want more details.

________

Author
sCaryDeth
Post Ho

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{uZa}Lonesome Eagle wrote:
For copying store-bought DVDs and burning them to DVD-+R it's a bit more complicated. You need to get AnyDVD from Bittorrent. (there is a new version just released like two days ago). AnyDVD will run in memory and defeat the CSS copy protection on DVDs. Then I use "Xilisoft DVD Ripper Ultimate 5" (also available on Bittorrent) to rip the DVD to my hard drive in the standard .VOB format. Then you can just use Nero Burning Rom (the main program) to bun the TS_VIDEO folder with the .FOB and .VOB files in it to DVD and watch it anywhere.

EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks LE!

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sCaryDeth wrote:
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle wrote:

EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks LE!

No problem. If the store DVD is on DVD5 (like 9gig instead of 4.5) or Blue-Ray (27gig) you need to tell Xilisoft to save it to a size that will fit on your target (I assume DVD+-R, which is 4.5gig). It will compress it as it saves it.

________

Author
Morgoth
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried that one yet. I still use DVDShrink to this day... although it is old and unsupported.. it is freeware and always works. Of course I use anydvdhd although it is updated about every other day. I have also used IntervideoDVD5 which is a non-freeware version of DVDShrink. All work great. The I use Nero 8 Lite edition Burning ROM to burn. I have been using the AnyDVD, dvdshrink, nero 3-pack now for years without a problem.

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morgoth wrote:
I haven't tried that one yet. I still use DVDShrink to this day... although it is old and unsupported.. it is freeware and always works. Of course I use anydvdhd although it is updated about every other day. I have also used IntervideoDVD5 which is a non-freeware version of DVDShrink. All work great. The I use Nero 8 Lite edition Burning ROM to burn. I have been using the AnyDVD, dvdshrink, nero 3-pack now for years without a problem.

DVDShrink has a great reputation, I just never got around to using it. I used AnyDVD and Nero Recode / Vision for a long time until it got screwy a version or two ago, and tumbled onto this Xilisoft package which works really nice. Truth be told, I haven't bought or rented a DVD in probably 2 years... Wink so I had to scratch my head for a minute to even remember how to clone a store bought DVD. I just get the 800meg xVid versions from usenet, and if it's one I want to keep or feel like I need the better quality, I get the full 4.5gig DVD versions already ripped to .vob from usenet. Usually the compressed xVid versions are fine for me for most movies and keeping up with TV shows.

________

Author
sCaryDeth
Post Ho

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya. That was the same with me. I had been using my combo of Magic DVD Ripper and Nero for several years but all of a sudden, my burns aren't working to well. Skipping all over the place, etc. Sad

Author
Morgoth
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Nero 7, I never liked the idea of Nero trying to perform everything, thus making a 143mb application for what used to be around 30mb. Then they started spitting out different versions all over the place, and not really ever testing them. I think they over did their software and are struggling in the market. I have always used Nero's burning ROM since about version 5 I think, and have stuck with the same burning application to present. I don't actually know if Nero produces the Lite and Micro versions that basically separate the burning rom from the rest of the trash, or if the crackers are actually doing it. But I still use v. 8. I may be using the same version for years like I did with version 5 & 6.

I'm with you eagle on the movie thing. I will grab an xVid and perhaps preview the movies the rest of the household might not want to see. Or the kiddies might get exited to see an actual R5 of some movie. My GF's daughter just got back from the theater from seeing Righteous Kill, and when she got home, I was already watching an R5 at home on the TV.

I download 1080p x264 rips of movies I really like, like total recall, robocop, the goonies, shawshank redemption... etc. I have them stored. Then I DL NTSC Rips of good keepable movies like Ironman etc..

If I decide to waste a blank DVD for an xvid convert, I try and get the split cd xvids (1.37GB size).

I use Fast AVI MPEG Joiner to quickly join the files, and then use WinAVI Video Converter (XP Only). I like WinAVI better at this point because it always saves the quality and is easier to control the end outcome of file size. ConvertXtoDVD always seems to shrink the movie too small for me, making the video quality suffer. I have tried to customize it the best of my ability.

My theory with burning... use the KISS principle. Don't use Nero for anything else but burning. Afterall, it's the burning that made them known.

http://docer.blogspot.com/

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sumo

http://www.kcsoftwares.com/index.php?sumo

This is a spiffy little utility which will scan your system for all installed software and tell you if you have the latest version and if updates are available. There are other packages which do something similar, but the advantage to Sumo is that it is driven by a "social network" process where your version numbers are sent to their database with everyone else's, so as soon as a new version hits and people start using it, you know about it.

You can then click on an "out of date" application and it will send you to the web to a search page where you can get the latest stuff from Download.com or GeekSquad.com etc.

Works really nice. Great way to remind yourself to get that latest version.

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DExposE2

This is a very faithful port of the MAC's Expose function which is a HUGE hit on the MAC. It let's you set up a hotkey (I use WinKey + Spacebar) to tile all your open or minimized windows (applications, folders, etc.) and gives you a quick and snazzy view of them. Click on the one you want to bring to the front, and pop. Unlike the built-in Aero "flip", which is similar but not as useful, this also works on XP. You have to try this to see how cool it is...

Free application available here:

http://www.deviantart.com/download/79083821/DExposE2__Expose_for_Vista_by_devrexster.exe

Cluttered? Lot's of windows open or minimized?

Hit the hot key to get a zooming view of your windows!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> All Things Computers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: