Main Site | Forum Index | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |  Register |  Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

Video card question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> All Things Computers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author
{uZa}Double_D
Post Ho

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Video card question Reply with quote

Hey guys I'm wondering what I will get more out of
Running sli video cards by getting another 8800 Gts 320 MB

or say getting Evga 9800 512 MB?

Author
{uZa}Renegade
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running 2x 8800GT and most games run fine using just one.There's not much out there game wise in my opinion that an 8800 will not run at the moment.

http://tinyurl.com/yobjfs

Author
{uZa}Renegade
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun said that the 8800GT is a bit better than the GTS so I have no idea.To be honest I have no clue what I will get next either, Probably nothing for a while though mine are a year old now.

http://tinyurl.com/yobjfs

Author
{uZa}CrazySpinner
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you main limitation will be your memory buffer. Two cards running in SLI will only get the benefit of a single card (320 in your case). If you're running a monitor at a resolution greater than 1280 X 1024, then you may see noticeable difference. For two reasons, the 9800GT is essentially an 8800GT, just more efficient, and memory is 512vs.320. Also the 8800 (320) doesn't scale as well in SLI as the 9600GT or 9800GT. Lots of things to take into consideration.

Author
{uZa}D.O.A.
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

{uZa}CrazySpinner wrote:
I think you main limitation will be your memory buffer. Two cards running in SLI will only get the benefit of a single card (320 in your case). If you're running a monitor at a resolution greater than 1280 X 1024, then you may see noticeable difference. For two reasons, the 9800GT is essentially an 8800GT, just more efficient, and memory is 512vs.320. Also the 8800 (320) doesn't scale as well in SLI as the 9600GT or 9800GT. Lots of things to take into consideration.

The 8800gts 320MB card is not really the same! The 8800 is a (g80) series and the 9800 is a (g92) series. you are right that he will be limited by the memory buffer.. It also comes down to what CPU you are running. When I went from dual 7600gts to dual 8800gts 320MB cards I noticed a little performance increase. But, when I went from my Intel E6750 @3.0 to my Q6600 @4.0 I really notices the performance increase. You could buy the top of the line card and your CPU WILL still determine your performance. The CPU will bottleneck the GPU. I am now running a Intel core i7 and my new GTX260 core 216's are somewhat bottle necked by my CPU running at stock (2.66) compared to running at 4.2. Hope this helps....

Author
{uZa}Studdog +SC+
Post Ho

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with SLI is that it is not worth it!

When they make SLI actually utilize the complete 2nd or 3rd card then I might change my mind, but to basically buy a second card for the processor only is ridiculus. In my not so humble opinion! Wink

SLI is basically a joke unless you are simply building a high end system and want every little boost you can get, then it is a must. And money must be no object.

Go for the best CPU, Ram, and a great single card and you will always be happy. Very Happy

You can even try a card with two processors built in.

I currently use the XFX 9800 GX2 Black Edition and would rather have it over SLI.

Here's a review of it:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/xfx-geforce-9800-gx2-black-edition-review/

Author
{uZa}D.O.A.
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with the new nVidia driver version 180.48 they have increased performance a great deal...

Boosts performance in numerous 3D applications. The following are some examples of improvements measured with Release 180 WHQL drivers vs. Release 178 WHQL drivers (results will vary depending on your GPU, system configuration, and game settings):
Up to 10% performance increase in 3DMark Vantage (performance preset)
Up to 13% performance increase in Assassin's Creed
Up to 13% performance increase in BioShock
Up to 15% performance increase in Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts
Up to 10% performance increase in Crysis Warhead
Up to 25% performance increase in Devil May Cry 4
Up to 38% performance increase in Far Cry 2
Up to 18% performance increase in Race Driver: GRID
Up to 80% performance increase in Lost Planet: Colonies
Up to 18% performance increase in World of Conflict

I noticed a 45% increase with the install of these drivers in almost all my games... they also support dual monitors now!
Download the NVIDIA® GeForce® Release 180 driver to enable NVIDIA® SLI® Multi-monitor support, giving you the ability to use two monitors with your GeForce® graphics cards in SLI mode. Now you can easily switch between multi-monitor desktop mode and full screen 3D gaming mode without any additional system settings. Multi-monitor aware games – such as World in Conflict, Supreme Commander Forged Alliance, and Flight Simulator X – surround you with amazing graphics to immerse you in the game. In addition, you can enjoy the flexibility of having 2, 4, or even up to 6 displays based on your GPU and motherboard configurations.

links.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_180.48_whql.html

http://www.slizone.com/object/sli_multi_monitor.html

Intel i7 920 2.66GHz OCed 4.2GHz
Koolance CPU-350 AC Liquid Cooling CPU Block
eVGA x58 Tri-SLI mobo
G.Skill 3x2GB 1600MHz triple channel
3x eVGA 260 core 216 SSC Editions
Corsair HX1000 watt PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos S case

Author
{uZa}Studdog +SC+
Post Ho

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to say:

SLI really makes the biggest difference when you use a higher resolution like 1920 x 1200 or higher.

So if you have a large monitor it can be even more helpful, but still I prefer to stay away from SLI.

To answer your original question I suggest getting one newer and faster card with more ram and skip the SLI of 8800 Gts 320 MB.

Author
{uZa}D.O.A.
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{uZa}Studdog +SC+ wrote:
I forgot to say:

SLI really makes the biggest difference when you use a higher resolution like 1920 x 1200 or higher.

So if you have a large monitor it can be even more helpful, but still I prefer to stay away from SLI.

To answer your original question I suggest getting one newer and faster card with more ram and skip the SLI of 8800 Gts 320 MB.

I agree you do need a 22" or up high resolution monitor to really benefit from SLi. If your using a CTR or smaller low resolution (1440x900 and under) stick with one card. I don't however like the two cards frankensteined together (like the 7950 GX2) they are very hot and don't increase performance as much as one would think.. Your better off going with a high end single card solution. Mind you this is just MHO....

Intel i7 920 2.66GHz OCed 4.2GHz
Koolance CPU-350 AC Liquid Cooling CPU Block
eVGA x58 Tri-SLI mobo
G.Skill 3x2GB 1600MHz triple channel
3x eVGA 260 core 216 SSC Editions
Corsair HX1000 watt PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos S case

Author
Morgoth
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{uZa}Studdog +SC+ wrote:
My experience with SLI is that it is not worth it!

When they make SLI actually utilize the complete 2nd or 3rd card then I might change my mind, but to basically buy a second card for the processor only is ridiculus. In my not so humble opinion! Wink

SLI is basically a joke unless you are simply building a high end system and want every little boost you can get, then it is a must. And money must be no object.

Go for the best CPU, Ram, and a great single card and you will always be happy. Very Happy

You can even try a card with two processors built in.

I currently use the XFX 9800 GX2 Black Edition and would rather have it over SLI.

Here's a review of it:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/xfx-geforce-9800-gx2-black-edition-review/

Agreed.

I have a 22" LG LCD 2ms response monitor... and still 1 8600GTS works great cranked up. Only 1 GB of RAM here too! Very Happy

I don't plan on making games, I just want to play them Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> All Things Computers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: