Main Site | Forum Index | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |  Register |  Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

Map Making
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> Call of Duty Mapping and Scripting
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author
Knight
Post Ho

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Map Making Reply with quote

Hey guys, I dont know if this already a topic but how can i make maps for call of duty2 and how hard is it and how long does it take?? thanks Cool

Author
MR GR1MM
Post Ho

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://downloads.iwnation.com/Downloads/pafiledb.php?action=category&id=51

Dnld this tool. This is what you will use to create maps for Cod2. It can be tough at first.Mods online has many tuts to help with tool usage as well as posting here for help. Have fun Cool

Author
{uZa}Scorpius
Post Ho

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MR GR1MM wrote:

Have fun Cool
Neutral Smile Very Happy Mr. Green Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

www.wilsonpi.com

Author
Knight
Post Ho

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Cool ....i use radiant for the map right because i think i started one but radiant had a problem and closed i dont know why??

Author
MR GR1MM
Post Ho

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radiant can be a bit testy at times. Try a reinstall. Make sure you extract your xmodel folder from the .iwd 13 and place it in your main. I would also suggest that you reinstall a fresh copy of Cod2. Any maps and or mods in your main will conflict with radiant causing a crash. Keep the copy of Cod2 that you map in seperate from the 1 you play in.

Author
Knight
Post Ho

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright thanks Grimm

Author
Knight
Post Ho

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MR GR1MM wrote:
Radiant can be a bit testy at times. Try a reinstall. Make sure you extract your xmodel folder from the .iwd 13 and place it in your main. I would also suggest that you reinstall a fresh copy of Cod2. Any maps and or mods in your main will conflict with radiant causing a crash. Keep the copy of Cod2 that you map in seperate from the 1 you play in.
ok....hate to be the person to bring the bad news but i think i messed up half and did half right i put my current cod2 files in my 2nd hardrive uninstalled cod2 and im installing it but i dont know if i did the write thing because it said something about files being over written so ya.....

Author
Knight
Post Ho

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEVERMIND it does work but i do need help on how to make the map because im not the most technologicaly smart person i make the size of the map then im pretty much lost from there on out so lend me a hand again?

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing is to go live on a web site http://MODSonline.com for a week or so. They have a ton of tutorials for map making, and it's the absolute best way to get started. Even with that though, it's going to be a challenge. Map making for COD/UO/2 isn't for the faint of heart.

As much as folk here would like to help, there is no way in a posting to respond to "ok, tell me how to make maps in radiant". It's a bit like "ok, tell me how to program in C++, or "ok, tell me how to do web design". It's not that simple.

Do all the tutorials on MODSOnline. Don't just look at the COD2 ones, but the ones for COD and UO as well. The way you do things in radiant is pretty much the same for all of them (with just enough differences to be frustrating of course). Also, spend some time going through their forums, as a lot of good questions about specific issues have been raised and answered there.

Eagle

________

Author
Knight
Post Ho

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright and i know that map making isnt easy im wondering how long ill try this then just say screw it hehe cause i give up easy Rolling Eyes . Laughing Laughing Laughing

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no way to prove this, but I'm betting that if 100 people decide to give map making for COD a try, 94 of them give up the minute they load the tools and see the environment you work in. Maybe 4 of them get good enough to make a halfway decent map, but don't have the artistic eye combined with unlimited patience and the technical skills to get really "good" at it (I fall in this category), and only the last 2 really put out maps that both look great and are fun to play (like Grimmy and Dupont).

Having said that, I encourage you to give it a go, it really is a lot of fun. Expect to spend at least a few days just getting used to the tool and the basics of creating a very simple map with a skybox, some ground, a prefab building or two and a TDM spawn point. Then expect to spend weeks figuring out all the little "gotchas" that the tool has, hassle through terrain (one of the hardest parts to wrap your head around), how to properly compile and script so it will actually play on a server, followed by a month or more creating / editing / editing / editing / editing your first real map that you would want to post on CODUtility.com for others to share.

It does take perseverance... But you might just love it.

Eagle

Author
MR GR1MM
Post Ho

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well put Mr Eagle Cool

Author
Dupont
Post Ho

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your very welcome to hit me or Gr1mmy up for any advice at anytime knight.I'm not by far the best map maker,but I do know how to do them.
But,Do check out modsonline.com for some serious insight.If you get stuck,Don't give up too easily.Once you learn some basics of radiant and how the tools work,you'll be mapping in no time.Or just hit us up and we'll help you out the best we can....... Wink

Life is sexually transmitted...

Author
{uZa}SirSnipes
Post Ho

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea

Author
Dupont
Post Ho

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What up Snipesy.........?

Life is sexually transmitted...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> Call of Duty Mapping and Scripting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: