Main Site | Forum Index | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |  Register |  Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

Just a thought...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> Call of Duty Mapping and Scripting
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author
:[GOB]:JackC
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Just a thought... Reply with quote

Call of Duty 4 as you may know is running off the same game engine as what powers Call of Duty 2 right. So, if it is the case with like many other games, it should be using Radiant still. And what's more, it SHOULD be a breeze to port over CoD2 maps. I remember for UO you could port the base map over from CoD to the UO editor, tweak a few things and that's it.

Wonder if it will be the same.

Author
sCaryDeth
Post Ho

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Just a thought... Reply with quote

:[GOB]:JackC wrote:
Call of Duty 4 as you may know is running off the same game engine as what powers Call of Duty 2 right.

Where did you read this?

Author
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it is just stated around the net. CoDUO used the CoD1 engine. Which was in turn was used for Quake 3. CoD4 is a heavily modified version of CoD2 engine. The console is exactly the same, the file structure and layout name files are exactly the same. If it wasn't the same engine you wouldn't be able to do that fix I posted in the Call of Duty 4 section (use one of the CoD2 files on CoD4 and have it fix an issue)
If you just look around the net for the CoD4 engine you will see it is just a very prettier version of CoD2.
The maps will not be 100% compatable, maybe not even 50% but we MAY be able to get something ported across.

Author
{GBI}Harryball
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that aswell, I think i saw it over at www.fpsadmin.com.

{GBI}CLanserver
66.55.142.20:28960

Author
sCaryDeth
Post Ho

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it is just stated around the net. CoDUO used the CoD1 engine. Which was in turn was used for Quake 3.

It may very well be true, I was just looking for some hard facts because CoD UO and CoD 2 looked fairly similar graphics wise. CoD 4 just looks SOOOOOO far above those I just find it hard to believe that it's on the same graphics engine.

Oh, and ID Software develops their engines in house so you may have things a little turned around. I believe the previous CoD games used a heavily modded Quake 3 engine and from what I've read so far, it looks as though CoD 4 may be using that same engine?

I'll let you know if I find something more solid.

Last edited by sCaryDeth on Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Author
sCaryDeth
Post Ho

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, this is how it went:

CoD1 was a slightly modded Q3 Engine. The CoD:UO modified it some more and now CoD 4 modifies it even more.

LAWL.... How they're still using that engine is beyond me! There's probably next to nothing left from the Q3 engine in there any more.

This definitely explains why I've always loved CoD. That engine is THE BOMB!

Author
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreakOfNature wrote:
CoD 4 just looks SOOOOOO far above those I just find it hard to believe that it's on the same graphics engine.

Call of Duty 4 to me doesn't look THAT much better than CoD2 with DirectX9. Just more lighting effects really. Apart from that I see no MAJOR difference.

Time for a new game engine maybe Infinity Ward?

Author
sCaryDeth
Post Ho

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreakOfNature wrote:
CoD 4 just looks SOOOOOO far above those I just find it hard to believe that it's on the same graphics engine.

Call of Duty 4 to me doesn't look THAT much better than CoD2 with DirectX9. Just more lighting effects really. Apart from that I see no MAJOR difference.

Time for a new game engine maybe Infinity Ward?

Wow. Then I guess DirectX10 is just THAT much bettter? Because it looked damn near life like on my PC.

Author
MR GR1MM
Post Ho

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if all that is fact Jack have you tried opening up the COD$ iwds and pulled out the model folder and tried opening the editor to see if they were compatible mor not.

I'm currently 200 miles away from my PC and won't be for a week. I would love to create maps for 4. the first thing I did was to see if they had released an editor for it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> Call of Duty Mapping and Scripting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: