Main Site | Forum Index | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |  Register |  Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

What Operating System??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> All Things Computers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author
{uZa}Amok
Post Ho

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: What Operating System?? Reply with quote

I am about to order a new PC.
Here are the main components:

Graphics card: 2 x CLUB3D Nvidia 8800GT
Mobo: ASUS P5N32-E SLI
CPU: INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6850
CPU Cooler: ZALMAN CNPS9700-LED
RAM: 4X CORSAIR 1GB PC2-6400 TWIN2X2048-6400C4 (4-4-4-12)
PSU: TAGAN TG700W-U25 DUAL

Now, regarding an Operating System, I could use some advice.

What should I buy: Vista or XP, and why?

I would like to keep on playing older games too, like Wolfenstein and the COD series. Does that rule out Vista?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Respect all, fear none!
Conscia mens recti, famae mendacia ridet.

Author
.:Boo Radley:.
Post Ho

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use vista ultimate,

once you get used to the new interface it just rocks, very intuiitive.

I have absolutely no problems with it, and it's faster, easier than xp on this machine.

Author
sCaryDeth
Post Ho

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those games will run just fine on Vista.

You might also want to consider Vista x64 so you can take advantage of the full 4 gigs of RAM you'll be getting. Or at least XP x64.

I run Vista Ultimate x64 and the ONLY problem I've had was with my FTP client. I had to use a different one because the one I was using didn't like Vista x64.

Author
{uZa}Studdog +SC+
Post Ho

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely go with a 64 bit to get the full potential of the dual core and 4Gb of ram.

I use XP Pro 64 bit and think it is rock solid.
I haven't tried Vista 64 bit yet, so I have no comments on it.

Author
{uZa}CrazySpinner
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{uZa}Studdog wrote:
Definitely go with a 64 bit to get the full potential of the dual core and 4Gb of ram.

While you are essentially correct, I just want to elaborate more to for a better understanding. (According to how I understand it, I to may not be 100% correct, and am working off of 3 hrs of sleep. Sad )

64 bit operating system is primarily in regards to how much data and how it addresses data. (Floating point numbers) It doesn't matter whether the CPU is single, double, or quad core. If it isn't a 64 bit processor, it obviously won't handle the 64 bit OS, due to the processor's inability to handle 64 bit code. Which is why 32 bit programs can run on 64 bit OS/CPU's. It's data is accessed essentially twice as fast, but as we all know, this is only theoretical speed. While we may get close, it never really achieves it.

While the OS can manipulate and dictate how a multi-core handles the data, it really is the CPU architecture and controller that has the most affect. While the 64 bit OS's can optimize better then 32-bit OS's for multi-cores, the difference is typically less then 10%, usually around 5% (My numbers aren't exact, just from what I've read and averaged in my head).

So it really boils down to the application you are using, in our case games. If the game was optimized for multi-cores, then it use the architecture to best of its ability for the game. An example is the RTS game Supreme Commander. It runs horribly on single cores, decent on dual cores, and best with quad cores because of how it was coded. Certain functions are actually split between cores, so each core is responsible for certain aspects of the game. The OS cannot do that kind of optimization because it doesn't care what application is running, it just takes the commands and sends them on as best as the OS can do.

So Amok, since you are using 4GB of ram, I would want to us it all, so I would go with a 64 bit OS (XP or Vista).

Author
sCaryDeth
Post Ho

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty much right on the money holmes.

Author
{uZa}Renegade
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question ? If i remember rightly games like cod and uo did not recognize win xp 64 as an operating system.Was that ever fixed.

http://tinyurl.com/yobjfs

Author
{uZa}Studdog +SC+
Post Ho

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{uZa}renegade wrote:
Question ? If i remember rightly games like cod and uo did not recognize win xp 64 as an operating system.Was that ever fixed.

I have both installed and they run fine. CoD 1 installed effortlessly, but UO was a little tricky. I had to trick the UO into thinking it was installing on XP 32bit. After UO was installed, it ran great and I have had no problems to report.

Crazy- Thanks for the info. I never really knew much of the differences between 32 and 64 bit with single and multi core CPUs.

I originally built my current system and installed XP Pro 32 bit and used it for several months. I then wanted to change the operating sytem to 64 bit and see what difference it made on the benchmark score. The 64 bit gave me a lot higher score and is why I eventually stayed with 64 bit. I had always heard that 64 bit was only helpful if the program took advantage of it, but still worked fine for 32 bit programs. Not including firewalls, and drivers, ect... Thats was pretty much the extent of my knowledge of 64 bit systems.

Author
uZa Ten*K
Post Ho

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows?

No. If you are currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can only perform an upgrade to another 32-bit version of Windows. Similarly, if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows Vista, you can only perform an upgrade to another 64-bit version of Windows Vista.

************* from the Vista Site*************

so, choose and deal. I have the 32, but I'm going to give it to a friend (well, sell...) and go 64. don't play old stuff anyway.

Humanism- Less Filling, Tastes Great.

Author
{uZa}HiTechRedneck
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another option. If you purchased any version of vista other than ultimate, try here:

www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/64bit.mspx

Author
sCaryDeth
Post Ho

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HiTechRedneck wrote:
There is another option. If you purchased any version of vista other than ultimate, try here:

www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/64bit.mspx

Just to be clear, the other versions of Vista don't actually come with a 64 bit version. They will send it to you for free though if you purchase the products listed at that link.

Ultimate edition actually comes with BOTH x86 and x64 bit versions.

Author
{uZa}Hugh Jass
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm building a new computer too and I am still unsure what OS to buy. I am leaning towards getting XP Pro 64-bit, but from what I've read, there are still problems with getting drivers and certain older software not working with the 64-bit XP. Also, I currently use Zonealarm and AVG Free on my computer, will these work on 64-bit XP? It doesn't say anything about a 64-bit version on their website that I could see. I haven't built a computer in a long time and I'm a little behind on current technologies, any help will be greatly appreciated. Very Happy
Hugh

Author
Morgoth
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still use xp pro 32 bit... I love it, and as far as I know, in another 2 years windows "7" will be released... so I will wait for that. I tried vista a little bit on other computers.. and just really didnt like it. If you are into many multimedia things, high def tv, radio tuners, blah blah... then you will like it... but to me it's the same thing as xp but just bloated with a bunch of media center type crap.

http://docer.blogspot.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> All Things Computers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: