Main Site | Forum Index | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |  Register |  Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

Computer questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> All Things Computers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author
1terribleshot
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Computer questions Reply with quote

I Know just enough about computers to be dangerous. I need some help on upgrade questions. 1st I have 1.67 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
i want to replace it, any recommendations and is it hard to change. I aslo have MSI MS-7021 1.0 Bus Clock: 133 megahertz BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. Version 07.00T 04/02/01 motherboard should I change it also and what would be a good one. also my HD is Maxtor 6Y040L0 [Hard drive] (40.98 GB) I want to replace it but I'm a little confused do i need a Pata, Sata or Eide. And finally I have a Radeon 9000 video card (i Believe) do u have any suggestions on a newer one. I know this is a lot of stuff but I figure I can do a little at a time. Love your guys server for cod2 on it as much as i can. Bought COD 4 but didnt look and do to the above I cant use it yet. Any help would be appreciated Very Happy

Author
uZa Ten*K
Post Ho

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

budget?

Humanism- Less Filling, Tastes Great.

Author
{uZa}Incognito
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Basically, we are going to tell you to build a brand new system.

From what I looked up, you have Socket A motherboard that does support sata and a 2000+ CPU that runs at 1.67 ghz. The motherboard has an AGP slot for the video card which is ancient tech.

The best you could do using your old hardware would be to max out the memory and add a 7900gs video card like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150174

If you have a budget of 700.00 - 1000.00, we could give you suggestions on what parts to buy. Otherwise, the best you can do is what I said above. If it were me, I would save the 150-200 dollars that you would use to upgrade the above parts and try to save up the rest, or ask for specific components for Christmas.

Inc

Author
1terribleshot
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm saving for it so I'm gonna do it piece by piece, it would be easier to upgrade than buy a new system. yes that was the system i have that you looked up. any suggestions on motherboard. I figured I would do the hard drive first then the motherboard and possibly processor then video card. My son works at a electronics store so I should be able to get most of the parts at 5 percent over cost.

Last edited by 1terribleshot on Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Author
1terribleshot
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at NVIDIA Ge Force 8600GTS,8600GT fatality or 8500GT would they not work on my system or should I rplace the motherboard first.

Author
{uZa}JanusX
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

basically what i'm getting out of your system, it's better to save up about 1000 bucks and buy a whole new setup of parts from newegg, because there really isn't anything you can buy to make it worth your while when it comes to upgrades on your current rig.

Author
{uZa}Incognito
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the video cards above are AGP, the best card that you can get for AGP is the 7900gs that I linked.

As for upgrading you motherboard...

You would also have to upgrade your CPU, Memory, and probably your power supply at the same time.

Inc

Author
1terribleshot
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking @ doing the motherboard and CPU at the same time o and also ram since they dont match. Do u have any suggestions on motherboard and cpu that would give me the best bang for the buck. I looked at the web site u supplied and not sure would would be good. If i change that stuff is the above video card good one that i posted

Author
{uZa}Incognito
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were to upgrade now, I'd get the following parts.

mobo: Asus MAXIMUS FORMULA LGA 775 250.00

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131227

There are plenty of cheaper ones, but this one recieved high marks for overclocking recently.

Non budget CPU: Quad core intel 260ish

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115018

Budget CPU: Core 2 duo (dual core): 190ish

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115029

PSU: Get a named brand in the range of 750 watts
Memory: Check Asus for compatable memory. I would suggest 2 gb.

Video Card - Any 8800gt right now. In a few months the new nvidia cards will come out and I'd wait for them, but your old card will not work in the new mobo so you will need something.

Inc

Author
uZa Ten*K
Post Ho

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you really need an upgrade, apply for newegg's credit account... no payments for 3 months on stuff, then you can pay a little bit monthly and have the PC now.

you are at a point where your current pc is not worth "upgrading" as the price you pay for those upgrades will not even come close to a more contemporary system. you could nickle and dime your current rig, but the money will be wasted.

the upgrade to even a moderate newer system would be huge over even the best equipment you can get for your old rig, no question.

so, give us a solid budget, or apply for a newegg account, and set a limit you are willing to borrow.

Humanism- Less Filling, Tastes Great.

Author
Morgoth
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find that newer stuff is actually cheaper than anything you could upgrade on your current rig... like ram.

You could build a pretty sweet and upgradeable machine for around $800..

Like a basic asus or msi mobo for around $100 - $150

gskill or kingston ram for around $100 - $200

a starter pci-e vga for around $100 - $150

a cpu for around $120 - $200 (AMD AM2 socket)

power supply $80 (around 500 - 600 watt)

you may want to think about a new case as well... something larger and more cool.

http://docer.blogspot.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> All Things Computers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: