Main Site | Forum Index | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |  Register |  Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

I need an opinion or several please...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> All Things Computers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author
{uZa}HiTechRedneck
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: I need an opinion or several please... Reply with quote

I am looking at 2 different video cards on newegg.com... They are identical in every way that I can see, $10 difference in price (not important) and different manufacturers... They are both 8600GTS 512MB GDDR3 cards. Both have the DVI outputs, and DVI-VGA adapters... Both are PCIEx16 with SLI... One is XFX and the other is a Biostar... Any opinions on these two brands??? Also, my system has a 250W power supply... I plan to upgrade it to a 500W... Do I need to go higher???

Author
sCaryDeth
Post Ho

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another $60 or so bucks will get you one of the baddest cards on the block right now (Just sayin'):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133205

Otherwise, I'd definitely go with XFX over Biostar personally and 500 watts should be fine for that card.

Author
{uZa}DeathByMunky
Post Ho

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can scrounge up the money, definately go with what Freak said. The only problem you'll have is finding one available. I managed to find a store on Ebay that had 11 left.

Author
sCaryDeth
Post Ho

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahahaha Oh crap! That link actually had some available when I sent it. lol

Yea, they're going like hotcakes right now.

Author
{uZa}DeathByMunky
Post Ho

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha. I was attempting to order off of evga and by the time I got my info in, they had already went on backorder. I can't believe how fast their selling. Tigerdirect isn't going to have any more available until Dec. 14.

All of the Ebay stores are sold out now, but keep an eye for a decent deal on there.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=8800GT&category0=

Author
{uZa}DeathByMunky
Post Ho

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also found a list that someone put together.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=2112425&enterthread=y

Author
{uZa}HiTechRedneck
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I can squeeze the extra cash right now... Also not sure I can run it... My computer has 1 PCIx16 slot, but no PCIx2.0 slot... Are the 2 compatible???

Author
{uZa}DeathByMunky
Post Ho

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HiTechRedneck wrote:
Not sure I can squeeze the extra cash right now... Also not sure I can run it... My computer has 1 PCIx16 slot, but no PCIx2.0 slot... Are the 2 compatible???

I did some research a couple of days ago and it IS backwards compatible so you should be ok. I just received an e-mail from the guy I ordered from and he said that he had to cancel my order because the other ones processed before mine. I searched countless sites for the last hour and found one last one on Amazon and just ordered. It's just the basic 8800GT, but at this point I'm willing to settle for anything that I can get. I think I may have got the last one on the internet. Laughing

Author
{uZa}CrazySpinner
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the reviews I've read, the 8600GTS with 512mb are not worth it. The GPU is not powerful enough to increase any visual settings that would require the extra memory, in addition to the fact that the 128bit memory bus does bottleneck the transfer of data.

If you can wait a little bit to scrounge for the extra cash, and for the 8800GT to be in stock, I definitely would!

Author
ripley
Frag Bait

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what its worth, I have had very good luck with the EVGA brand. Having owned a 7800 GT, 7900 GTO and my current 8800 gt, never any problems. Couple of reasons I choose them: 1) Lifetime warrenty 2) 90 upgrade policy.

Just my thoughts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> All Things Computers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: