Main Site | Forum Index | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |  Register |  Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

**A Warning About nTune**

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> All Things Computers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author
Morgoth
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: **A Warning About nTune** Reply with quote

If you plan on using nVidia's nTune software... DON'T!!

A few techs have told me that it is possible for some later model BFG and EVGA cards to handle the application... 8 series etc... but there have also been many messed up computer systems because of this application. It has also been known to wipe out some videocards completely.

After just installing it and running it, I experienced all the dread it had to offer. Random shutdown crashes, bios errors, conflicts with all sorts of settings. It even throws a wrong message to the bios saying the cpu settings are off even when it is at its defaults.

I have been slaving over my computer for 4 days now to try and pull it from the clutches of this nRuin program. I think I might have finally got it to keep from crashing.

The funny thing is... it even crashed in safe mode. Go figure.

I reflashed my bios, reset the cmos jumper... pulled the battery for an hour... reseated my video card twice...

I have an nforce4 ultra chipset, nvidia 6800GT video card... so after some time I was able to keep it from crashing in safe mode. I uninstalled nTune after having to reinstall it because it wouldnt even show up half the time when opening it. After removing it, I disabled it from the services in xp pro.. Opened regedit, performed a search on nTune and deleted everything in it except for one thing it wouldn't let me delete. I then uninstalled ALL nvidia drivers. Reinstalled my chipset driver minus the nvidia audio driver, and the latest beta driver from guru3d.com. (Had better support for crysis.)

Now I am just trying to figure out how to get my boot to keep from saying it is running in fail safe mode - please check bios settings cmos. All the settings are good, all new drivers... and I hope no more crashes. But the fail-safe boot is going to drive me nuts. If anyone has any answers for that... please let me know. I have searched the outer limits of the www.

ABiT FATALiTY AN8
3700+ AMD
MSi NX6800GT 256MB
(2x512MB) CORSAiR XMS
550 WATT VANTEC STEALTH

So if you want more control over your clock with nvidia... buy a bigger badder card. Take my advise. Its a huge risk. Im off to buy an external backup harddrive.

Also what sucks... I spent good money on this rig not even a year and a half ago... now its already got wrinkles! I have to run call of duty 4 multyplayer at 800 x 600!! Pffftttt.....

Author
Morgoth
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well sofar all I have figured out after running some boot cd cpu tests... it broke the cpu. So if you like your cpu, dont use ntune. Just ordered a 4200+ X2 for $65 to get me by until the next build.

http://docer.blogspot.com/

Author
{uZa}Renegade
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its ok for checking temperatures though Smile

http://tinyurl.com/yobjfs

Author
{uZa}JanusX
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used ntune for awhile with no problems, but i removed it because i read about the horror stories about it. I just ended up modifying the bios and reflashing it. That way it gets the shader clock too.

Author
Morgoth
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

update:

seems it wasn't the cpu... but it was a slight inexpensive upgrade for my decaying 939 mobo anyhow.. extra core at least.. no jump in L2 or speed.

I then formatted a new maxtor harddrive.. still issues...

Picked up some kingston ram... still didn't fix the issue.

I should have gone with my gut instinct and pointed at my msi nx6800gt...

I traded the ram back in which was hella expensive because it is ddr... and paid an extra $40 on top to get an evga 8600gts. Not the superclocked one.

So far no issues. but its only been in and going for about 20 min as I am typing this.

I have heard bad things from a few different computer technicians about msi video cards. Shoddy workmanship, and cheesy parts.. etc. Though they have said great things about msi motherboards. im using an abit which i am more than pleased with.

The thing is, I only allowed ntune to open the features to overclock. I changed the core clock only a few ticks briefly. That alone seemed to kill my card.

I hope this evga takes care of all the hell I have gone through for the last few weeks.

http://docer.blogspot.com/

Author
{uZa}JanusX
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This evga8000gts i'm using was my first card every made from a third party vendor. I've always used pure ATI or Nvidia cards, but I must say so far eVGA is great, not an issue so far and VERY stable. Plus there support is great and superior to all others, not to mention I got my mail-in rebate back within a month.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> All Things Computers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: