Main Site | Forum Index | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |  Register |  Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

Saying what's up and asking for some performance predictions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> Call of Duty 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author
{uZa}FaDe
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Saying what's up and asking for some performance predictions Reply with quote

Hey all!

I know, I haven't talked to you guys in forever...how's everyone doing? I thought I'd drop a word because I'm getting a new laptop within the next 3-4 days, and I actually think it's going to be able to run some games. I'm not sure which ones or if it will play them all, which is why I thought I'd ask what you guys think about my hardware. Here's the specs:

- Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz
- 2GB RAM
- NVIDIA 8400M 256MB

Is that good enough for CoD4? The only thing I'm really not sure about is the video card. It's not the greatest, but at least it's a dedicated card and honestly it could be better than anything I've ever had before, sadly enough. Plus, I'm use to playing with low graphics settings. A friend of mine plays the game with an old ATI x800 and a Pentium 4, so I figure I should be able to get CoD4 up-and-running on this thing with decent performance. What do you guys think?

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Saying what's up and asking for some performance predict Reply with quote

{uZa}FaDe wrote:
Hey all!

I know, I haven't talked to you guys in forever...how's everyone doing? I thought I'd drop a word because I'm getting a new laptop within the next 3-4 days, and I actually think it's going to be able to run some games. I'm not sure which ones or if it will play them all, which is why I thought I'd ask what you guys think about my hardware. Here's the specs:

- Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz
- 2GB RAM
- NVIDIA 8400M 256MB

Is that good enough for CoD4? The only thing I'm really not sure about is the video card. It's not the greatest, but at least it's a dedicated card and honestly it could be better than anything I've ever had before, sadly enough. Plus, I'm use to playing with low graphics settings. A friend of mine plays the game with an old ATI x800 and a Pentium 4, so I figure I should be able to get CoD4 up-and-running on this thing with decent performance. What do you guys think?

Should be able to play it. The CPU and memory are fine, but as you said the graphics card is borderline for COD4. You may have to play at reduced settings to get decent FPS, but a quick Google on "Call of Duty 4 NVIDIA 8400M" shows some forums where folks say they can play even Crysis ok if they turn the settings down.

Eagle

________

Author
{uZa}FaDe
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds pretty cool, Lonesome. I didn't really research it in terms of gaming performance; the notebook was purchased somewhat sporadically as a result of an accident which involved me getting kind of screwed over, actually. This notebook really allowed me to get the best bang for my buck while still having a good warranty so that I don't get screwed over again. It's an HP laptop and I got it for about $1100, and the price includes 2-year accidental protection which costs $189 alone, so this is definitely good hardware for the price I paid. I mean, I could have gotten a notebook for around the same price that would have had an NV 8600M 512MB from CyberPower, but I had done that I would have only gotten a 1-year, limited warranty. So the HP is definitely the better choice in that respect.

I'm just hoping this thing plays CoD4! That would be sweet.

P.S.: I'm used to playing CoD2 on a computer that gets 40-80 FPS on the LOWEST settings, I mean that's with DirectX 7 rendering and everything. So as you can imagine, just about anything will be an upgrade for me.

Author
{uZa}Renegade
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the demo Smile http://files.filefront.com/Call+of+Duty+4+Modern+Warfare+Demo/;8774322;/fileinfo.html

http://tinyurl.com/yobjfs

Author
{uZa}FaDe
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call, ren. The new lappy is currently on vehicle for delivery so I'm downloading the demo right now!

Author
Morgoth
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with Lonesome... although your excess RAM will make up for a bit. In a notebook you should be fine with that. You should be able to use 1280 x whatever.. resolution in MP with that setup. Single player you may need to crank it down to 1024..

COD4 really isnt that graphically intense. You would have more issues with games like Crysis. Or the new F.E.A.R. coming out lol... I think most of us will have issues with that one. Razz

http://docer.blogspot.com/

Author
{uZa}FaDe
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morgoth-=gAp=- wrote:
You would have more issues with games like Crysis. Or the new F.E.A.R. coming out lol... I think most of us will have issues with that one. Razz

Dude, the NVIDIA 9800 X2 1GB gets like 40 FPS on Crysis when running with SLI enabled. That's insane!

Author
Exodus
Post Ho

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was recently playing cod4 on a 128mb 9800 pro from ATI. about 2-3 years old. maybe more. With doing some config tweaking i could get a non constant 125 fps. If u need a really good config for bad computers just let me know.

Author
{uZa}FaDe
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The single player runs pretty smoothly on max resolution (1280 x 800) for me! I hear the multiplayer has better performance, so that should be pretty sweet.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> Call of Duty 4 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: