Main Site | Forum Index | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |  Register |  Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

Eagle's Cool Software Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> All Things Computers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sCaryDeth wrote:
Hey Eagle, do you know if Locate can also search within text files for strings?

Like say I have a folder and sub folders with tons of PHP files. I need to find each occurance of a specific string inside each file.

Can Locate do this or do you know of a utility that will?

Locate32 can. Just use the "advanced" tab and check "File Containing Text" Be sure to right click a folder containing the php code and launch Locate32 from there. You DON'T want to search inside every file on your hard drive for a text string, that would be... bad... Now Locate32 will just tell you which files contain the text, for more advanced capabilities:

I use UltraEdit as my text editor (for general purpose editing, but especially for coding). It has really advanced text searching, including "Search Within Files". The benefit is that you are probably editing code anyway, and having the Search Within Files capability right in your text editor is very handy. It displays the files with the found text in a panel at the bottom, with the LINE NUMBER of the line the text was found on. You just click on this, and it opens the file in a tab in the editor AND jumps straight to the line.

You can even do a "Seach and Replace" using "Within Files" as the target, so you can replace "Version 2.0" with "Version 2.1" in 100 php files with one click.

Get it from me here:

ftp://uzaeagle.serveftp.com/ultraedit.zip

Eagle

Author
sCaryDeth
Post Ho

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! I'm almost ashamed to admint that I use Notepad/Wordpad for all my html/php editing. Embarassed

I tried Ultraedit and and got frustrated quickly. I think I'l lforce myself to learn it.

Author
Morgoth
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't Dreamweaver have some sort of function like that in it as well? I have always used that program for all my html creations etc.. I know its more robust for what my uses of it are.

http://docer.blogspot.com/

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

|MF|Morgoth wrote:
Doesn't Dreamweaver have some sort of function like that in it as well? I have always used that program for all my html creations etc.. I know its more robust for what my uses of it are.

It probably does. I have used dreamweaver to do a lot of the web work for our servers, but I only use it for "prototyping" screen layouts. Most of the actual coding is in php and MySQL, and I (like Freak) prefer to hand write code in a decent text editor. Dreamweaver is a bit bloated if you are a hand coder...

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sCaryDeth wrote:
Awesome! I'm almost ashamed to admint that I use Notepad/Wordpad for all my html/php editing. Embarassed

I tried Ultraedit and and got frustrated quickly. I think I'l lforce myself to learn it.

Like most tools, it has things you may never use. The trick with UltraEdit for me is to turn off all the extra crap on the screen, so I am left with a very straight forward text editor. All the fancy stuff is still there under the menus, and you will find that over time you will begin to use them to solve particular problems. (like finding that missing curly brace with a built in function that "matches" braces and shows you in two seconds where the missing brace is in 1000 lines of code.)

If you use the "view" menu, you can turn off the extra toolbars, remove the "file explorer" frame on the left, get rid of line numbers, in short get the interface down to a nice clean text editor that just happens to color code your php / html for you, and opens multiple files in nice tabs across the top.

I don't know how you work, but one of the GREAT features of UltraEdit it the ability to directly edit via FTP. You set up your host and password and such in it, and you can open a file on the remote server, edit it locally (it downloads a copy into memory) and when you save it the file is replaced on the host server. All this happens completely transparently, so it feels like you are working on files on your local pc.

Author
sCaryDeth
Post Ho

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

{uZa}Lonesome Eagle wrote:
I don't know how you work, but one of the GREAT features of UltraEdit it the ability to directly edit via FTP. You set up your host and password and such in it, and you can open a file on the remote server, edit it locally (it downloads a copy into memory) and when you save it the file is replaced on the host server. All this happens completely transparently, so it feels like you are working on files on your local pc.

omg that is so h0t! Thanks for the tips. Looks like we prefer our interfaces about the same too....

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sCaryDeth wrote:

omg that is so h0t! Thanks for the tips. Looks like we prefer our interfaces about the same too....

Wink Two things I change in preferences right away are:

1) It automatically loads (or tries to load) the last file you were editing when you launch UltraEdit. I hate this, and have it set to create a new blank document when I launch it stand alone (rather than right clicking a file and saying "Edit with Ultraedit).

2) It saves a copy of files you edit with the .bak extension by default. You may like this, I don't. I hate having .bak files littered around. You can turn this off too.

________

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

This is one of the newer entries in the AdAware, SpyBot Search and Destroy genre of programs to scan for and protect your computer from adware and malware on the internet. It is very highly rated for a newcomer, and I have found it to be very effective.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Author
{uZa}HiTechRedneck
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RealVNC is the best... I use it on all my machines here at home... With computers on 3 floors in this house, it saves me a lot of stair climbing...

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folder Guide

This is similar to the DirectFolder app I posted about earlier. I allows you to set up any number of "favorite" folders and you can then jump to them with one click by just right clicking anywhere (in an app or on the desktop) and there are your favorites. Really nice for jumping to those folders buried 3 or 4 levels deep that you use all the time.

http://www.freeware365.com/desktop/folderguide.htm

Last edited by {uZa}Lonesome Eagle on Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:12 am; edited 2 times in total

Author
{uZa}HiTechRedneck
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something |MF|Morgoth posted in another thread is Shields-Up ( http://www.grc.com )

It pretty good for testing your firewall setups... I tried it on my system, and other than when I requested a page from them, I was invisible... They could see the IP for my router, but nothing behind it... I also checked it on my wife's computer, and my step-daughters with the same results... Her laptop, on the other hand, is a different story... Seems one of my neighbors has a wireless network set up in thier home... Shields-Up was throwing up red flags as soon as I had her log onto that sight... Of course, she also has windows firewall, norton and avast all diabled, because she "doesn't want to deal with the pop-ups"... Good thing her laptop is NOT my problem... Smile

Author
Morgoth
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats interesting it only showed your routers network IP... try any proxy judge site and it should show otherwise. I use a wired firewall router and it still reads my true IP... but maybe thats a configuration thingie?

http://www.proxyblind.org/proxy-anonymous-checker.shtml

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

|MF|Morgoth wrote:
Thats interesting it only showed your routers network IP... try any proxy judge site and it should show otherwise. I use a wired firewall router and it still reads my true IP... but maybe thats a configuration thingie?

Normally your router's IP is your "true" IP. You have one IP address assigned by your ISP (either dynamic or static) seen by the outside world (in my case 72.196.200.106) and this is going to be your router connected to your modem (cable or DSL).

Then your router sets up a private network which is only seen from the router "backwards" to devices on your network. So your router is 192.168.1.1 (that's what Linksys uses anyway) and your devices are 192.168.1.xxx assigned by the router. The router takes care of "routing" all the traffic coming into the network on 72.196.200.106 (in my case) to the correct computers in your network.

________

Author
{uZa}HiTechRedneck
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

|MF|Morgoth wrote:

Normally your router's IP is your "true" IP. You have one IP address assigned by your ISP (either dynamic or static) seen by the outside world (in my case 72.196.200.106) and this is going to be your router connected to your modem (cable or DSL).

Then your router sets up a private network which is only seen from the router "backwards" to devices on your network. So your router is 192.168.1.1 (that's what Linksys uses anyway) and your devices are 192.168.1.xxx assigned by the router. The router takes care of "routing" all the traffic coming into the network on 72.196.200.106 (in my case) to the correct computers in your network.

Another thing to note Morgoth, if these online tests are showing your computer's IP (192.168.1.xxx is the default for most routers), then you really need to check into your router config... These sites (and the rest of the world) should see nothing but the IP given to you by your ISP (98.223.49.207 in my case)... This address can be seen by anyone and any site on the internet... The router/firewall is just there to hide everything else (computers, printers, xbox, etc)...

Author
Morgoth
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the one I meant.. the network one. Most cable companies use a dynamic address. So you are stuck with the same network IP unless you ask them to change it... and then they ask you why! Shocked

Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> All Things Computers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: