Main Site | Forum Index | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |  Register |  Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

Calling all guitar players

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author
{uZa}DeathByMunky
Post Ho

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Calling all guitar players Reply with quote

As you all know I got my first guitar around three months ago now. I practice at least one to two hours every day. I've learned about six songs all the way through, and I can play them pretty decently. This doesn't include songs that are just three chords strummed all the way through or something basic of that nature. I've learned the pentatonic scale and a couple of the blues scales.

I feel like I'm making progress, but I really don't know where to go from here. I feel that I should be learning something different other than just looking at tabs and trying to play them. I can't improvise other than putting chord progressions together. I have no knowledge on music theory, and my tremelo picking is not that great.

Now I realize I just named off of some things that would be easy to work on, but does anyone have any suggested reading material to help me on these? Do you have any suggestions on other things are should start easing into? It's fun to strum along to any song, but I want to go deeper with it.

Also when Christmas rolls around, I'll be getting this most likely:

I know a lot of you don't like the Les Pauls, but I played my brother's all weekend and absolutely love it. I haven't decided on the gold or silver yet though.

Author
Morgoth
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grab some tabs and go to town, try to develop the sounds and styles of each musician.

I started off playing Van Halen songs for the most part.. like "Aint talkin' 'bout love" etc. Panama's a fun one too... and Unchained etc. Check out some different tuning options like downtuning some strings etc.

Also some newer melodies are fun too like "Hey there Dahlila" etc (sp?)

Blue Oyster Cult, Zepplin, Pink Floyd, NOFX... many fun ones to pick up for starters.

I mostly made up my own songs purely using huge chord posters/books etc. Pick up some good sounding chords, make up some melodies with them, and turn them into a song.

As for strings, I like to use GHS Boomers, 9's. Picks I use Jim Dunlop .46mm Nylons.

Grab a Guitar Player magazine or two too.

Can learn a lot from you tube too.

Mainly it's spending a lot of time. Play what you like. Learn band dynamics later.

http://docer.blogspot.com/

Author
{uZa}DeathByMunky
Post Ho

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically you're saying just keep playing songs and the progress will come with that? Should I even worry about the other scales and understanding music theory?

Here's a brief run through of the songs I can play all/most of:

Dust in the Wind, Kansas
Wish You Were Here, Pink Floyd
The Rain Song, Led Zeppelin
Stairway to Heaven intro, Led Zeppelin
She Talks to Angels, The Black Crowes
You've Got Her in Your Pocket, The White Stripes
Sweet Child O Mine intro, Guns n Roses
ATWA, System of A Down
Mama I'm Comin Home (most of it), Ozzy
Hotcha Girls, Ugly Casanova
China Grove, The Doobie Brothers
The Best of My Love, The Eagles
Simple Man, Lynyrd Skynyrd
Float On and countless other Modest Mouse songs
Live Forever, Oasis
Wonderwall, Oasis
Baby I love your way, Peter Frampton

That was actually a lot more than I originally thought, but once again I can't play every bit of those.

I actually set two goals for my guitar playing. I like to have goals because it helps me get motivated to practice.

Short term: Hotel California intro

Long long LONG term goal: Little Wing (Stevie Ray Vaughan version)

I know the last one seems out of reach, but it's my favorite song besides the Rain Song. SRV has always been the guy I've looked up to as far as guitar players.

Author
sCaryDeth
Post Ho

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll write something up for ya here in a bit buddy.

Author
.:Boo Radley:.
Post Ho

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it helps to video your playing, not to post on you tube or anything but just to see/hear what your fingers are doing from a different perspective.

Author
{uZa}DeathByMunky
Post Ho

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.:Boo Radley:. wrote:
it helps to video your playing, not to post on you tube or anything but just to see/hear what your fingers are doing from a different perspective.

Never thought of that. I may give that a shot.

And thanks Scary, I'm sure you can give me some pointers.

Author
sCaryDeth
Post Ho

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I'm lazy and probably not the best person to take advice from (Never took an ounce of real lessons, nor did I learn to read music all that well. just learned by trying to imitate my guitar heroes) so I'lll just steal a post from someone who's opinion I respect on this subject:

First of all, I'll advertise a few things from school, buy books by Dan Gilbert, Tommy Tedesco and David Oakes! These guys are amazing musicians and have been teaching me a whole lot since I've been here. MI books are relatively cheap (I think somewhere around the $30-$40 price range, not sure, we have different course material at school) but look them up, they have some of the best info to offer. I'm not getting paid to say this, I'm just speaking from experience.

Next, a lot of what you need to get better depends on what direction you want to go with your music and what direction as a guitar player you want to go. If you want to be a great hired gun, focus on getting your rhythm guitar down to a T. Once you can do 16th. note syncopated rhythms and be able to look at a chart and go "yep, let's do it!" then you're in the clear! If you want to be an original (like me), focus hard on both lead and rhythm guitar, it's gonna suck, it's gonna hurt, you're gonna whine, you're gonna bitch, but after a few years, you'll finally smile and go "yea, that was totally worth it!" If you want to be a great studio musician and make a living in music, this is very fucking important:

LEARN HOW TO READ MUSIC!!!!!

This is essential, even if you're just going to be a hired gun or an original. Trust me, it's gotten me paid just recently, and I'm still not very good at it, but I was able to blindly thrust myself through a melody and got to keep the gig and got a call back, it's all about practice and repitition. Also, get your ear training down to a T, I suggest this website: http://www.good-ear.com/

When you can identify intervals really fast, identify melodies and rhythmic subdivisions, you'll be all set as well. Also, start studying theory, understanding your key signatures and how chord progressions work is essential to song writing and not looking like an idiot on a stand in gig when you hear someone go "key of B flat, 1, 4, 2, 6, 5, 1 with a 2, 6, 3, 4, 1 bridge, go!" and go "bwah?", here's a great website for music theory stuffs: http://library.thinkquest.org/15413/theory/theory.htm have fun with the Circle of 5ths.

Anyways, onto the technical stuff, the first and foremost way that you develop your lead style is by studying scales, lots and lots of scales, learning both the major and relative minor of each scale. There's minor pentatonic patterns 1-5, along with their natural minor scale brothers, patterns 1-5, which can also turn into both major pentatonic patterns 1-5 along with their natural major scale patterns 1-5, these are good things to study and look up.

Next is phrasing, thinking of all of the great solo's in the world, it doesn't take much to woo a crowd, a man who can skillfully play 6 notes and wow an audience, is a much better musician than Yngay Malmshpleen getting up on stage and blasting off 4,000 notes and only hitting one or two good ones that make you go "yea, that was nice" and instead it's a bunch of boring sweeps. (Sorry I have a big problem with him, he makes me sick, besides the fact that he's a total snob in person.) So study the Blues to start, everyone starts with the Blues, it's how you understand playing a solo and it makes you a better improviser so later when you're sitting there on a gig having to play Sin City by AC/DC you can totally shred it up because you understand the concept of melodic phrasing, bending properly, vibrato's, chord tones, ect. Look here for virtually every scale and chord in existance: http://www.blackbeltguitar.com/ChordScaleGenerator.php

I couldn't find a place with good chord inversions or triads, but that might have some hidden in there if you look. Now, every lead guitar player has to play to something, or else he looks like he's just wanking off randomly. So, I present you with BACKING TRACKS!:

www.guitarbt.com
www.guitarbackingtrack.com

These are the two best by far that I've used for a very long time, also, if you're trying to learn a song, using www.playlist.com to find the songs or youtube.com is also very helpful. I have found googling for tabs rather than sticking to one site has helped me out a lot when there are no charts and I have a last minute gig coming up in an hour, and Fretplay has been the best one so far that I've found for tabs when I search in Google, if Fretplay appears, I normally go to them for tabs.

Other then that, here are a few more resources for you to use, then I'm outy for school:

Metrenome: http://www.metronomeonline.com/
Online Tuner: http://www.gieson.com/Library/projects/utilities/tuner/

Author
{uZa}ChaosFlip
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL I was gonna post the same exact thing Freak.

Author
.:Boo Radley:.
Post Ho

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

downloaded this is to my desktop, I'm lazy that way

http://www.gieson.com/Library/projects/utilities/tuner/

Author
{uZa}DeathByMunky
Post Ho

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. This is definately a lot of good reading material. I'm mainly going to stay around the blues rock area, so it's good to know that thats what I need to start off with. I'll be putting this to good use.

Thanks all. Smile

Author
<WG>Pitthunter
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with scary 100% - learn to read music. I did it when I was 8 years old so you can too. Once you can do that - well - anything is possible.
Good luck

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Author
Morgoth
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<WG>Pitthunter wrote:
I agree with scary 100% - learn to read music. I did it when I was 8 years old so you can too. Once you can do that - well - anything is possible.
Good luck

Very true... thats one thing I forgot how to due since I played the flute in the fifth grade! Always helps especially when a job is involved.

Plus learning other instruments as well and developing an ear for certain tones and melodies will help.

I happen to like the piano a lot... and I find it helps when I play my yamaha organ as well.

I am the only musically talented one in my family other than my sister who is an A+ at the flute... my parents thought I may have been autistic when I was younger because I would bounce forwards and back on the couch when they were playing their mamas and the papas and moody blues records. But nope, it was the music.. gets in your veins!

http://docer.blogspot.com/

Author
<WG>Pitthunter
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Morgoth - I started piano lessons at age 8 and continued them until 16. After that, other instruments were easier because I knew how to read the music and I could concentrate on what I was doing.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: