Main Site | Forum Index | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |  Register |  Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

Need some ideas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> All Things Computers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author
{uZa}Studdog +SC+
Post Ho

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Need some ideas Reply with quote

I formated two computers and reinstalled windows XP Pro 32 bit on one and XP Pro 64 bit on the other.

Now I am having issues starting CoD 2 and CoD 4. Both games launch VERY slow on both PC's. The games play fine, but there is a 40+ second load to get the games going. The logo screen comes up immediately and then takes awhile for full screen game to start. It use to take only a few seconds to get to the game screen before I formatted. I actually thought it was hanging up at first.

I am also having issues with the icons on one PC. The icons look a little washed out and not very clear. Everything else looks perfect on the PC.

Anyone have any ideas?

Author
{uZa}HiTechRedneck
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Need some ideas Reply with quote

{uZa}Studdog +SC+ wrote:
I formated two computers and reinstalled windows XP Pro 32 bit on one and XP Pro 64 bit on the other.

Now I am having issues starting CoD 2 and CoD 4. Both games launch VERY slow on both PC's. The games play fine, but there is a 40+ second load to get the games going. The logo screen comes up immediately and then takes awhile for full screen game to start. It use to take only a few seconds to get to the game screen before I formatted. I actually thought it was hanging up at first.

Anyone have any ideas?

Try putting the RAM back in???

Author
{uZa}HiTechRedneck
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: Need some ideas Reply with quote

{uZa}Studdog +SC+ wrote:
I am also having issues with the icons on one PC. The icons look a little washed out and not very clear. Everything else looks perfect on the PC.

Anyone have any ideas?

Simple, put your glasses on... The fuzzy Icons are causing you to move your head closer to your screen and squint, so by the time you actually start a program, you're close enough and squinting enough to actually see the monitor... Laughing

Author
{uZa}HiTechRedneck
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, in reality I have no idea what might be causing these problems... After you reformatted and reinstalled windows, did you also get all the updated drivers for your hardware and windows??? Did you "retweak" everything back to the way it was before the reformat???

Just suggestions...

Author
Morgoth
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, after formatting and installing everything... a serious defragging is in order. Everything is usually in the 'red' at that point and will cause issues. Other issues could be network or firewall related. Check your startup programs etc.

http://docer.blogspot.com/

Author
{uZa}Studdog +SC+
Post Ho

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, but I already defraged.

It may be the tweaking. I have about 100 registry entries I need to make yet. Just haven't taken the time.

The COD issues really have me baffled, just doesn't seem right.

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Need some ideas Reply with quote

{uZa}Studdog +SC+ wrote:

Anyone have any ideas?

If I look at the logic of the issue, I think we can eliminate hardware. (two different PCs) Since it is both COD2 and COD4 we can safely eliminate a bad installation DVD or CD's. Could still be a driver, (video or sound being the usual suspects) but that does assume that you have matching hardware (again video card or sound chip/card) in the two PCs, otherwise it would be different drivers and can't be the problem. If you are in fact running the same for instance nVidia drivers or Creative sound drivers on both machines, that is a place to start looking. Try removing from one and not the other and see what happens.

Leaving drivers aside, what else is in common with these two PC's that could effect a game like COD2/COD4? About the only thing left is network. Since you didn't mention problems with your browser / the internet, and the games do play ok once they start, it leaves a problem with the initialization of the game. Perhaps an issue with connecting to the Activision Master Server to verify your CD-Key. If you are on a router sharing an internet connection, try plugging one of the machines directly into the cable/dsl modem so that you bypass the router, and see if it behaves differently.

________

Author
{uZa}Mr.POW
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the same thing, and just live with it.

Author
{uZa}Studdog +SC+
Post Ho

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent break down of how to diagnose Eagle.

I will take some time this weekend and see if I can get a conclusion.

Thanks Eagle.

Mr. POW I cannot live with it, I paid too much for a fast PC to have it act slow. Okay, maybe I'm really just impatient. Laughing

Author
{uZa}HiTechRedneck
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

{uZa}Studdog +SC+ wrote:
Okay, maybe I'm really just impatient. Laughing

This coming from a guy who can stand for hours watching a spinning blade chop 0.01" of material off of a block of steel??? Yeh, you're impatient alright... And I'm a liberal democrat...

Author
{uZa}Studdog +SC+
Post Ho

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

{uZa}HiTechRedneck wrote:
{uZa}Studdog +SC+ wrote:
Okay, maybe I'm really just impatient. Laughing

This coming from a guy who can stand for hours watching a spinning blade chop 0.01" of material off of a block of steel??? Yeh, you're impatient alright... And I'm a liberal democrat...

Are you crazy!

Maybe 0.001" or 0.0015, but never 0.01".

That would get me killed. Wink

Author
{uZa}Mr.POW
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I can see why. I'm a machinist too. And cut .015 to .020 per rev. LOL

Author
{uZa}Studdog +SC+
Post Ho

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again thanks for the advise Eagle.

I have narrowed it down to being an issue with my cable internet.

I have tested my up and down speeds several times over the past twenty four hours. They are nothing like they have been in the past.

Downloads are about 450 and uploads are about 1300.

That's messed up!

I usually am able to tweak my sytem and get the advertised speeds or higher than advertised.

I am not going to tweak my internet until I get this issue resolved.

I called Comcast and was told my modem is not online and that I could not be found. Shocked Yet it works, but slowly. They will be sending out a technician next friday to try and figure out what is wrong.

After that I will see what I can do to speed things up on my end.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> All Things Computers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: