Main Site | Forum Index | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |  Register |  Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

Common Sense Bailout - Dave Ramsey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author
{uZa}CrazySpinner
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Common Sense Bailout - Dave Ramsey Reply with quote

I don't typically get too involved, but feel this is big enough to say something.

If you've ever heard of Dave Ramsey and what he's about and does. He makes a lot of sense (to me at least). If you agree with his common sense plan, the take a chance and send it to your local representatives and senators and see if we can make a difference.

Click below to check out the plan.
http://www.daveramsey.com/etc/fed_bailout/

Oh, here's the plan, so if you don't like it, don't go to the link.

The Common Sense Fix
Years of bad decisions and stupid mistakes have created an economic nightmare in this country,
but $700 billion in new debt is not the answer. As a tax-paying American citizen, I will not support
any congressperson who votes to implement such a policy. Instead, I submit the following threestep
Common Sense Plan.
I. INSURANCE
a. Insure the subprime bonds/mortgages with an underlying FHA-type insurance.
Government-insured and backed loans would have an instant market all over the
world, creating immediate and needed liquidity.
b. In order for a company to accept the government-backed insurance, they must do two
things:
1. Rewrite any mortgage that is more than three months delinquent to a
6% fixed-rate mortgage.
a. Roll all back payments with no late fees or legal costs into the
balance. This brings homeowners current and allows them a
chance to keep their homes.
b. Cancel all prepayment penalties to encourage refinancing or
the sale of the property to pay off the bad loan. In the event of
foreclosure or short sale, the borrower will not be held liable
for any deficit balance. FHA does this now, and that
encourages mortgage companies to go the extra mile while
working with the borrower—again limiting foreclosures and
ruined lives.
2. Cancel ALL golden parachutes of EXISTING and FUTURE CEOs and
executive team members as long as the company holds these
government-insured bonds/mortgages. This keeps underperforming
executives from being paid when they don’t do their jobs.
c. This backstop will cost less than $50 billion—a small fraction of the current proposal.
II. MARK TO MARKET
a. Remove mark to market accounting rules for two years on only subprime Tier III
bonds/mortgages. This keeps companies from being forced to artificially mark down
bonds/mortgages below the value of the underlying mortgages and real estate.
b. This move creates patience in the market and has an immediate stabilizing effect on
failing and ailing banks—and it costs the taxpayer nothing.
III. CAPITAL GAINS TAX
a. Remove the capital gains tax completely. Investors will flood the real estate and stock
market in search of tax-free profits, creating tremendous—and immediate—liquidity in
the markets. Again, this costs the taxpayer nothing.
b. This move will be seen as a lightning rod politically because many will say it is helping
the rich. The truth is the rich will benefit, but it will be their money that stimulates the
economy. This will enable all Americans to have more stable jobs and retirement
investments that go up instead of down.
This is not a time for envy, and it’s not a time for politics. It’s time for all of us, as Americans, to
stand up, speak out, and fix this mess.

CS

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Common Sense Bailout - Dave Ramsey Reply with quote

{uZa}CrazySpinner wrote:
I don't typically get too involved, but feel this is big enough to say something.

CS

Without getting into details, I agree in principle that a plan which is far more targeted at helping with the underlying problem of failed mortgages is a better idea. Helping people stay in their houses and make mortgage payments (not to reward bad choices by borrowers, but every failed mortgage is just an empty house (drives down housing prices) and liquidity removed from the market (the bank has money tied up in a house sitting empty instead of having cash to loan). It does no good to talk right now about Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, failed liberal policies about sub-prime mortgages or failed conservative policies about deregulation. There will be plenty of time to figure out how to tweak the system for the long haul.

A $700b bailout which buys up all the bad paper (much of which is self-inflicted wounds) of the financial institutions would have some short term benefits. It would of course make Wall Street deliriously happy, and would stop (probably only temporarily) some failures, bankruptcies and selloffs of some banks / lenders / market management companies. I could care less about making Wall Street happy in the short term, the markets will correct in any case. In ANY given 20 year period in American history, if you put money in the stock market you made a profit, (even in the 20's and 30's) and I'm all for letting the financial companies which played a big part in this with their "selling bundled bad paper back and forth between each other to artificially drive up the market" pyramid schemes to fail. Screw them. It will all sort out through buyouts and mergers anyway.

I have no interest in adding $700b to the national debt (even for a few years), increasing our reliance on borrowed money from China, government intervention (which ALWAYS has strings destructive to our freedoms) in the private sector, and more and bigger nanny state government.

A large number of democrats and a majority of republicans listened to their constituents and rejected this bill in the house. Now the Senate (which constitutionally is NOT ALLOWED to create bills, only the House has that power) is going to pick up this rejected bill, add $100b MORE cost to it in the form of "sweeteners / pork" and send it back to the House without addressing in ANY way the underlying problems which caused it to fail in the first place. Of course in the 10% approval rating congress, this "one hand washes the other" approach will work, it always does, and this bloated up, even worse bill will probably pass the House on Friday or Monday.

The stock market will rejoice, the weaklings in congress will give each other reach-arounds, the rich CEO's will be delighted that their jobs are saved and they can still get their huge bonuses and golden parachutes (after all this only adds a %20 "tax" to these bonuses, so what?) when they screw up their companies, and then congress will GO HOME FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR. Nice job.

This should go back to square one, even if it takes another week or two, be rethought completely, and a much more modest bill which addresses just the mortgage crisis / housing market and credit liquidity should be passed.

Not gonna happen that way though, since politicians are just the lowest form of life next to lawyers (no surprise that most of them ARE lawyers).

Author
{uZa}Studdog +SC+
Post Ho

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some interesting points Crazy and Eagle, but I have a simpler plan.

The government needs to just stay the he!! out of it and it will fix itself.

1. Everytime the federal government gets involved in something it wasn't created for, it just screws everything up.

2. Why can't we find 700 billion to dump into social security? Which brings up the question of should we even have social security but that's a different topic!

3. Most politicians are too darn crooked to be making any financial decisions for the country. Until the politicians are held accountable, we can't expect them to hold wall street accountable. It's a lose - lose situation with the average American holding the burden.

Are there not any Cynics in this world that can stand up and lead this country? Cynic would you mind if we just cloned you about 5000 times and made you fill all the offices of the federal government at once while there is still hope?

Author
{uZa}fcbcynic
Post Ho

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{uZa}Studdog +SC+ wrote:
Those are some interesting points Crazy and Eagle, but I have a simpler plan.

The government needs to just stay the he!! out of it and it will fix itself.

1. Everytime the federal government gets involved in something it wasn't created for, it just screws everything up.

2. Why can't we find 700 billion to dump into social security? Which brings up the question of should we even have social security but that's a different topic!

3. Most politicians are too darn crooked to be making any financial decisions for the country. Until the politicians are held accountable, we can't expect them to hold wall street accountable. It's a lose - lose situation with the average American holding the burden.

Are there not any Cynics in this world that can stand up and lead this country? Cynic would you mind if we just cloned you about 5000 times and made you fill all the offices of the federal government at once while there is still hope?

Hmmm, I actually prefer the old fashioned method of procreation, but I understand your desire to hurry the process. Wink Laughing

You are correct, however, in that the government should stay out of the marketplace, especially tinkering with the economy, and allow the free market to correct itself. Capitalism works every time it's tried, but our intellectual midgets in Congress can't seem to grasp that concept.

Congress created this mess and now they want us to believe that only they can fix it. Why don't we ask the fox to protect the henhouse?

Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage!

Author
{uZa}Dellis
Post Ho

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Ramsey is correct in his approach.

The market just needs to go through this and it will rebuild itself and be better for it. This is what free market is all about. The banks will come back because a small bank which watches closely over its money will be that more attractive to people seeking to deposit their money and if that bank stays true to its colors then that bank will grow in a STABLE manner.

I and my wife have notified all of our state and local leaders how we feel about this bail-out and if they vote for it they will not be getting any votes from us for them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: