Main Site | Forum Index | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |  Register |  Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

PC to HDTV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> All Things Computers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author
{uZa}DeathByMunky
Post Ho

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: PC to HDTV Reply with quote

I have a 42 inch LCD with extra HDMI ports on the back. I have an 8800GT, and it still has a place for an extra monitor to hook up. I assume I can get a DVI to HDMI cable and my TV will act as another montor.

Here's the thing. If I have a hi-def/blu-ray movie on the hard drive of my computer and try to play it on my TV through the HDMI cable, will I be getting full hi-def quality? Will I be getting a less than stellar picture with slow frame rate?

I'm not quite sure I understand exactly how the setup will work.

Author
{uZa}HiTechRedneck
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't really know... Give it a shot, and tell us how it works out for you... Smile

Author
{uZa}DeathByMunky
Post Ho

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go find me some cables this weekend when I get a chance. Seems that I don't have time to even game anymore with school going. Too many tests. Laughing

Author
{uZa} F8
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"DVI and HDMI are exactly the same as one another, image-quality-wise. The principal differences are that HDMI carries audio as well as video, and uses a different type of connector, but both use the same encoding scheme, and that’s why a DVI source can be connected to an HDMI monitor, or vice versa, with a DVI/HDMI cable, with no intervening converter box." Hope this helps.

Author
{uZa}ChaosFlip
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{uZa}DeathByMunky wrote:
I'll go find me some cables this weekend when I get a chance. Seems that I don't have time to even game anymore with school going. Too many tests. Laughing

Dude I totally know what you mean. These last few weeks, I've been swamped with school work and tests, along with trying to juggle my social life (like I have one Very Happy ) and gaming.

Author
{uZa}DeathByMunky
Post Ho

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{uZa} F8 wrote:
"DVI and HDMI are exactly the same as one another, image-quality-wise. The principal differences are that HDMI carries audio as well as video, and uses a different type of connector, but both use the same encoding scheme, and that’s why a DVI source can be connected to an HDMI monitor, or vice versa, with a DVI/HDMI cable, with no intervening converter box." Hope this helps.

So if I connect a DVI cable and run it to my tv and connect it to a HDMI port, is it going to transfer the sound also? That was another variable that I thought about today. I'm not exactly sure how I would hook my sound up considering my stereo receiver is at least ten years old.

{uZa}ChaosFlip wrote:
{uZa}DeathByMunky wrote:

Dude I totally know what you mean. These last few weeks, I've been swamped with school work and tests, along with trying to juggle my social life (like I have one Very Happy ) and gaming.

I play a game of Madden on occasion or a few songs on RB2. Other than that I'm swamped with studying. We just had our first wave of tests, so hopefully I'll get a bit of a break. I was just getting into playing on server 3 again, but school always comes first. I was a bit embarrassed by my first test scores, so I promised myself I'd make up for it.

Author
sCaryDeth
Post Ho

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. No sound will go through that DVI connection.

Author
{uZa}DeathByMunky
Post Ho

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd update and say that TVersity cures all. Definately one of the best things I've ever downloaded. I can stream music, pictures, and even HD movies straight to my PS3 without any noticable quality loss.

Author
Morgoth
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also a true HD movie takes up anywhere from 20-40GBs of hardrive space.

So if you have a x264 720p or 1080p movie ~ 4-9GB... it will never be the full on video quality of a true Blu-ray disc... since it is encoded much like a regular DVD is with xvid etc. Usually there is some audio loss as well.

http://docer.blogspot.com/

Author
{uZa}DeathByMunky
Post Ho

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morgoth wrote:
Also a true HD movie takes up anywhere from 20-40GBs of hardrive space.

So if you have a x264 720p or 1080p movie ~ 4-9GB... it will never be the full on video quality of a true Blu-ray disc... since it is encoded much like a regular DVD is with xvid etc. Usually there is some audio loss as well.

I mean I know it's not going to be the same as a Blu-ray disk. That would be entirely too much to ask for, but mkv files are very high quality. If you change it over to vob, you don't actually lose any quality off of the original video and the PS3 doesn't have to transcode it. Planet Earth looks absolutely amazing either way.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> All Things Computers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: