Main Site | Forum Index | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |  Register |  Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

Far cry 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> Game Preview/Review
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author
sCaryDeth
Post Ho

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reviews guys!

If you get around to the MP, please let us know how that goes.

Author
:[GOB]:JackC
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okey Dokey ScareyDeath

Having played more of it, I have to say, this is far inferior to FarCry 1 in my opinion.

I've played the single player for a good few hours now and I have no idea on the story still, something about killing some arms dealer. That's all I know. And I just have no sense of where to go or what to do. I appreciate the open end world and all but it seems too hickledy pickledy. It's really hard to explain. But all I seem to be doing is driving to camps, killing the bad guys and finding ammo, health camps. I've not really noticed any progression in the story and the voice acting is actually pretty weak.
But the thing that disapoints me the most is how much driving there is and surprisingly, how little action. ESPECIALLY when compared to the original which I just came off playing for the first time in a few years (Can finally run it 1440x800, 8x AA, everything ultimate highest and HDR enabled! at over 60fps constant Smile )
You'll get a job to assassinate some guy, and he'll be on the other side of the map, which is HUGE. It soon becomes very tedious and all the missions I've done seem to be 'kill him, retrieve this' very standard. I am finding it quite repetative and the more I play it, the more disapointed I seem to get with it. I think what does it for me, is that there just isn't enough action. The only enemies I see are groups of 3 or 4 in around a small hut garrison which you take out in a stylish fasion then that's it. Back in the jeep and off you go. I am just getting confused to be honest, to the point I'm just following the quest arrow, killing the dudes, following next arrow, popping a few pills every now and then to help cure my maleria. It has many great features. I do like the timer setting as I mentioned before and seeing the cool day/night transition sequence, and the flamethrower is awesome. Setting a patch of grass on fire and watching the wind blow it across the area. Neat stuff. But it's ruined when you see a stack of wooden crates and other easily flammable materials just not catch fire.
One of the most neatest things I've seen is that if you set a weapon ammo cache on fire, the bullets start firing and go everywhere. It's awesome and had me spooked wondering what was shooting me Smile.

The more I play, the less I can whole heartedly recommend it to be honest. The story is non existant, the gameplay is repetative and the only FANTASTIC thing I've noticed is the weapon sounds. They are among the best I've heard.

I know this is a bit of a change in opinion from my previous post but I guess the 'newness' of it has worn off and I'm noticing the poor points about it. I mean, the intro sequence with you in the African guys taxi. It takes almost 10 minutes to arrive at the destination. Almost 10 minutes of you just doing nothing but watching him drive.

The PC multiplayer uses an auto matchmaking lobby system like console based games. And also, you cannot join a game in progress, leaving players waiting endlessly for a new game to start. I hear it's kinda poor.

I was really hoping this game would be better. I don't care for multiplayer that much, just the single player. It's not a BAD game, don't get me wrong, you could definatly do a lot worse. But alternatively, you could do a lot better and with all the other games coming this fall, you have plenty of choice. I find it's just repetative and I thought because of the open world, it would be anything BUT that. Still, good try Ubisoft, but FarCry 1 was much better. You could almost say it's a far cry from what I originally expected. Wink

Author
sCaryDeth
Post Ho

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:[GOB]:JackC wrote:
The PC multiplayer uses an auto matchmaking lobby system like console based games. And also, you cannot join a game in progress, leaving players waiting endlessly for a new game to start. I hear it's kinda poor.

Yucky. Thanks for saving me money.

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree to some extent and also disagree a bit with Jack on his post. I think if you go into this looking for a COD4 type single player, were there is a linear progression through set piece missions leading toward a goal, with a fleshed out storyline, then you will be disappointed.

I find this game to be more like COD4 meets Grand Theft Auto. It has a huge (as Jack said) "world" that you can explore in pretty much any fashion you want. There are missions and side quests that you get either from main characters or from "friends" that you make along the way. There is a progression to the main missions, but there are lots of things to do (side quests, finding diamonds, upgrading weapons, discovering safe houses, clearing out sentry posts, etc.) which you can do in any way you want or not at all.

There is a great selection of weapons. Machetes, pistols, nades, rifles, machine guns, grenade launchers, bazookas, flamethrower, you name it... Finding ammo seems pretty easy, but part of the game is that you have to "buy" new weapons (you start with a G3 submachine gun, machete and pistol) by earning or "findng" diamonds. A lot of times you will get weapons from dead enemies, but these are "unreliable" as they are old and used, and will jam up or stop working from time to time. The good weapons you "unlock" with diamonds. Once you unlock a weapon type, there is an armory where you can go get a new one for free if you lose yours.

I do agree that there is a lot of driving around finding stuff on the map. Fortunately there is a good map, a GPS in any vehicle you "borrow", (like GTA, you can take any vehicle you find lying around) and a homing device that helps you find hidden suitcases with diamonds , the currency of the game. You use the diamonds to buy new weapons, upgrades, accessories and the like.

I do agree with Jack that there could be more action more consistently.

There is killing on the missions and side quests of course, and there is a sub-goal of clearing these roadblock/sentry points scattered through the game. Also, many of the 157 diamond suitcases spread around the map (it is an "achievement" that the game keeps track of to find all 157) are well guarded and they get irritated if you enter "restricted areas" where lots of them are. There are a few "towns" which are full of armed men who won't attack you if you mind your P's & Q's, but you can go on a killing spree if you want.

However, as Jack says there is also a LOT of just driving around getting from one mission / quest target to another, back to the church to get more malaria medicine, off to some HQ to see a cut scene and get the next mission goal, etc. It would be better if the world was more populated, so you had to do more fighting "on the way" to your goals.

Anyway, you might want to give this a try. It may appeal to some more than others. If you like the Grand Theft Auto "open world" type game, you may find this one a lot of fun. If you are looking for the COD (any of them really) style where there is a linear progression through missions with a big ending, this may not be your cup of tea.

________

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

________

Author
{uZa}Canadian Girl
Post Ho

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhh I like the size of that knife.

Shocked

Author
{uZa}Canadian Girl
Post Ho

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK .....having issues with the game....please help. Smile

I am running Vista....and I downloaded the game off of Steam.

I get thru the jeep scene (the looonnnng one at the beginning) and then die pretty quick...i suck Wink

Then my game crashes and I have to go thru the whole jeep scene again.....?? Confused

Author
:[GOB]:JackC
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First tip would be to quick save just after the long jeep sequence. It's part of the game that you die when fighting the never ending army of troops. As you're running Vista and without knowledge of your PC spec I could only suggest this:

Start/Games

Right click FarCry 2 and go Play in Safe Mode. See if it does it then.

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CG, I know you have some issues with your computer, and you do need to do that rebuild of Windows... Wink

You need to try right clicking the shortcut for Far Cry (in your start menu is fine) and then under "properties / compatibiltiy" set the game to run in "XP compatible mode" and turn off "Desktop Composition". Then try running it.

________

Author
{uZa}Canadian Girl
Post Ho

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

{uZa}Lonesome Eagle wrote:
CG, I know you have some issues with your computer, and you do need to do that rebuild of Windows... Wink

You need to try right clicking the shortcut for Far Cry (in your start menu is fine) and then under "properties / compatibiltiy" set the game to run in "XP compatible mode" and turn off "Desktop Composition". Then try running it.

I know.....I am transfering everything over to reinstall everything.. Confused

But to reinstall Vista....?

But I will try what you suggested.

Thanks. Smile

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vista or XP, both work. Up to you and what Marcus is more comfortable with. I like Vista, but I'm not rabid about it. Not that much difference really.

Just be sure to:

1. Backup (be sure to save your ..\players directory in COD4 and export your favorites / bookmarks from IE to an HTML file so you don't lose all your links) You can also back up your Guild Wars directory in total, and I think Wow too, so you don't have to reinstall them and have a HUGE download. Of course all your pictures, music, etc.
2. Put in the windows CD
3. Be sure to read the menus, you want to delete the current partition and set up a new empty one using the whole hard drive.
4. After install, be sure to turn off UAC if you install Vista
5. Install drivers (video, sound, chipset if needed, etc.)
6. Install Avast or some other antivirus
7. Now you can install programs. Take a look at my software thread but for sure:

CCleaner
Autoruns
WinRar
Process Monitor
Ventrilo

NexusFont
Photoshop CS4 (I will send you a PM with a link)
We can get you caught up later with some of the other stuff I have sent you before like Gif Animator and Blaze Media Pro and such.

________

Author
{uZa}Capt.Spamada
Post Ho

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a ton of dudes with Far cry 2 shirts on at the Pub Yesterday lol
I havent tried this one yet, dosent look bad.

Author
{uZa}Renegade
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just installed it.It seems very good for the time I played it.

http://tinyurl.com/yobjfs

Author
{uZa}Canadian Girl
Post Ho

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{uZa}Lonesome Eagle wrote:
Vista or XP, both work. Up to you and what Marcus is more comfortable with. I like Vista, but I'm not rabid about it. Not that much difference really.

Just be sure to:

1. Backup (be sure to save your ..\players directory in COD4 and export your favorites / bookmarks from IE to an HTML file so you don't lose all your links) You can also back up your Guild Wars directory in total, and I think Wow too, so you don't have to reinstall them and have a HUGE download. Of course all your pictures, music, etc.
2. Put in the windows CD
3. Be sure to read the menus, you want to delete the current partition and set up a new empty one using the whole hard drive.
4. After install, be sure to turn off UAC if you install Vista
5. Install drivers (video, sound, chipset if needed, etc.)
6. Install Avast or some other antivirus
7. Now you can install programs. Take a look at my software thread but for sure:

CCleaner
Autoruns
WinRar
Process Monitor
Ventrilo

NexusFont
Photoshop CS4 (I will send you a PM with a link)
We can get you caught up later with some of the other stuff I have sent you before like Gif Animator and Blaze Media Pro and such.

Thank-you so much!!

I will probably do that tomorrow....or I should say Marcus. Wink Though I should learn how to do it.

Author
{uZa}Canadian Girl
Post Ho

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank-you, much appreciated.

I just gave it a try and my game didn't crash.

Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> Game Preview/Review All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: