Main Site | Forum Index | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |  Register |  Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

A Visit to the State Capitol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author
{uZa}fcbcynic
Post Ho

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: A Visit to the State Capitol Reply with quote

I recently enjoyed the priviledge of a personal tour of the Virginia State Capitol Building in Richmond. An old friend who used to do reenactments with me is now the superintendent of tour guides at the Capitol and took me and my family, as well as my former Lt. and his family, on a tour.

Recent renovations have made a grand old building even more accessible and beautiful. The following photos, while not of the quality of a F8 or CG, help to document the tour. I hope you enjoy.

The state seal of Virginia as it appeared on the garrison sized flag (really big) that was flying over the Capitol building on April 3, 1865. This was the day that Lincoln toured the city after the Confederate army abandoned it on its way to Appomattox. The motto (Sic Semper Tyrannis) means "Thus Always to Tyrants." A motto I can live with. Smile

The equestrian statue of George Washington that sits on Capitol square.

This is the lifesize statue of George that sits in the rotunda of the building. The detail on this is astounding.

Just hanging with my homeboy.

If I could only be 1/10 the man Robert E. Lee was I would be a happy man.

Thomas Jefferson designed the Capitol Building while he was Ambassador to France. He copied it after the Maison Carree in Nimes, France, it was built by the Romans. It is the first classical temple form government building in the western hemisphere. It was the first state capitol building constucted after we won our independence from England. In order to assure that there were no mistakes made in reading the architectural drawings he would send, Jefferson contracted the servces of Jean-Pierre Fouquet, renowned for his detailed models of proposed construction. The model was sent across the pond to Richmond and now sits on exhibit in the Capitol.

As I stood amongst the statues and paintings of great leaders from our past, I was awe struck and inspired. At the same time I could not help but lament the lack of such men among our contemporary leaders. Where is the honor, the humility, the devotion to duty that these men exhibited as a matter of course? I know people like to joke about how Virginians always reflect on their past, but in that hall of monuments to my Commonwealth's bygone days, I could not help but well up with pride. A pride that comes from having such examples to reflect on and strive to emulate. It gives one hope that there are still men of honor among us, men who will step forward when the time comes and do what is right, for right's sake alone. I remain hopeful and proud.

Last edited by {uZa}fcbcynic on Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Author
{uZa}Canadian Girl
Post Ho

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures!!! Looks like an interesting trip.

Thanks for sharing.

Smile

Author
{uZa}Studdog +SC+
Post Ho

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: A Visit to the State Capitol Reply with quote

{uZa}fcbcynic wrote:

Have you tried the Atkins diet? Laughing

Thanks for sharing the pics, cool history, and your personal feelings.

Looks like you had a great time.

Author
{uZa}fcbcynic
Post Ho

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: A Visit to the State Capitol Reply with quote

{uZa}Studdog +SC+ wrote:
{uZa}fcbcynic wrote:

Geez, I'm wearing vertical stripes, what else do you want? Rolling Eyes

Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage!

Author
{uZa}Amok
Post Ho

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe... Very Happy

Nice pictures, Cynic. Thanks for sharing! Very Happy

Respect all, fear none!
Conscia mens recti, famae mendacia ridet.

Author
{uZa}Natasha_Fatale
Post Ho

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics! It looks very interesting ...and you look great in vertical stripes , dont let them tease you Wink

~~Be happy this moment, for this moment is your life~~

Author
{uZa} F8
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing the photos and insight. I do dubb thee "Banes the Bountiful" a (no doubt blushing) virtual cornucopia of Virginia history.

Author
{uZa}Recon_Marine
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two quick things,

One, the Capital of Virginia is still Richmond correct? Did you drive around or is it still unsafe for a white boy to drive around Richmond?

Two, R.E.L was not a great man. Is was a fine leader of men in a military setting but not a great man by any respects. The biggest part of is reputation was the fact he married a Fairfax. His home is in Arlington Sematary for a reason and I dont mean because the Govt made it so. He turned his back on his country to support his state. Thats a trator in my book. E Pluribus Unum. As a soldier and a leader of men you put your personal issues aside and you do what needs to be done and not what you think should be done.

Author
{uZa}fcbcynic
Post Ho

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{uZa}Recon_Marine wrote:
Two quick things,

One, the Capital of Virginia is still Richmond correct? Did you drive around or is it still unsafe for a white boy to drive around Richmond?

Two, R.E.L was not a great man. Is was a fine leader of men in a military setting but not a great man by any respects. The biggest part of is reputation was the fact he married a Fairfax. His home is in Arlington Sematary for a reason and I dont mean because the Govt made it so. He turned his back on his country to support his state. Thats a trator in my book. E Pluribus Unum. As a soldier and a leader of men you put your personal issues aside and you do what needs to be done and not what you think should be done.

First, allow me to thank you for raining on my parade. I open myself up to my "friends" to share something that I thought they would enjoy and you find it necessary to tear down an historical figure that I admire. Classy! Maybe if you read a book or two on the man you would come away with a different attitude toward him.

Yes Richmond is still the Capitol and I only go there when I'm packing heat.

As for Lee, dude, I'm going to try and remain calm while I type this, but you obviously haven't read anything about Lee. Instead you have simply bought into the brief history textbook version of the man. You overlook the FACT that there were many then, and now (myself included), who see their State as sovereign, not the federal government. Our Union is a VOLUNTARY Union of states. Any Union that must be held together at the point of a bayonet is not worth preserving.

Lee did what he and many of his contemporaries felt was the honorable thing that they must do; defend their home state, not the federal government that sought to subvert their sovereignty and called for an army to inavde their soil. As Lee stated, he would not draw his sword against his home and his family. If that makes him a traitor then you and I have very different definitions of what that means. You might also want to know that it was Lee, who upon surrendering his army at Appomattox, encouraged his men to return home and work to become good citizens of the Union. This was done while many among his command, and in the government, were encouraging a guerilla war to keep the fight going until the federals tired of it and granted the south its independence. Would a traitor do that?

You might also be interested in knowing that NO Confederate General or political leader was ever tried for treason, not even Jefferson Davis. Those in the federal government who made this decision did so because they knew that a court case, which would bring out the facts and the laws regarding secession, would be a loser for them. If these men were indeed traitors why were they not hanged? The only Confederate officer tried after the war was the commander of Andersonville prison camp, Henry Wirz. He was tried for what the fed's called war crimes for allowing so many Union soldiers to starve on his watch.

I suppose if I went to Disneyworld and posted pictures of my visit, for the enjoyment of my {uZa} friends, you would feel the need to point out that Mickey Mouse is a plague carrying vermin who should be put down for the benefit of all mankind. You are entitled to your opinion, even if it is uninformed, but I would hope that we could start a seperate thread to discuss such matters, and not try to tear down a post that attempts to simply share one member's enjoyable day with his friends.

There, was that calm enough?

Last edited by {uZa}fcbcynic on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Author
{uZa}Canadian Girl
Post Ho

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: A Visit to the State Capitol Reply with quote

{uZa}fcbcynic wrote:
{uZa}Studdog +SC+ wrote:
{uZa}fcbcynic wrote:

Stoodog, don't be picking on Cynic...or you will have to deal with me. Wink

You look very handsome. Wink

Btw what kind of camera do you have? Smile I really like the pic of statue of George Washington that sits on Capitol square.

Author
{uZa} mattbaker
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures Cynic,thanks foe sharing looks like you had A good time. Smile

Author
{uZa}gomerpyle
Post Ho

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures Cynic, and great comments too. I bet you were like a kid in a candy store there.

Author
{uZa}fcbcynic
Post Ho

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: A Visit to the State Capitol Reply with quote

{uZa}Canadian Girl wrote:
{uZa}fcbcynic wrote:
{uZa}Studdog +SC+ wrote:
{uZa}fcbcynic wrote:

Stoodog, don't be picking on Cynic...or you will have to deal with me. Wink

You look very handsome. Wink

Btw what kind of camera do you have? Smile I really like the pic of statue of George Washington that sits on Capitol square.

Thanks for looking out for me, CG. Smile Actually the camera is just one of those $100 digital cameras from Best Buy. We got it for our son and I can't remember the brand. Sorry Embarassed

Author
{uZa}fcbcynic
Post Ho

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{uZa}gomerpyle wrote:
Great pictures Cynic, and great comments too. I bet you were like a kid in a candy store there.

Indeed I was, Gomer. It has been many years since I went to the Capitol and shame on me for waiting so long. The artwork and statuary are phenominal, and the detailed stories that my friend was able to relate are far better than anything you'd get in a classroom.

Author
{uZa}Lasherman
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mickey Mouse is a plague carrying vermin who should be put down for the benefit of all mankind.

Damn rat....bastard has a castle and I have house.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: