Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » {uZa}GENERAL FORUMS » All Things Computers

Post subject: New puter
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:20 pm 
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

New rig arrived. Trying to get everything up and running. Trying to figure things out in Windows 7. Can't seem to get the computer to recognize the two HDDs I installed.

Post subject: Re: New puter
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:01 pm 
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

This sucks...everytime i try to run a game, the computer crashes. It goes into hibernate or something. I can still hear the game running, but the screen goes blank and I lose all input control so have to hard reboot. After days of researching, it appears that my new "latest and greatest" ATI 5770 video card has some conflict with the new "latest and greatest" windows 7. So it appears that some new ATI drivers and Catalyst Control Center will be released 12/16. Hopefully it will address the problem. I can't get answers from anyone on a faster fix. Called windows and they wanted to charge me $59 to talk about the problem. Called the computer company and they said they never heard of that problem, but would look into it and call me back (that was 3 days ago). Couldn't get through to ATI/AMD. Guess I keepsearching for a fix and/or wait for thenew drivers to be released. Everything else is working great and I love the new rig otherwise. So I'll be back in the gaming scene whenever I get this resolved.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:53 pm 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

that sucks !

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:12 pm 
Loves to Spam
Loves to Spam

Have you tried another graphics card in it, do you have an old Nvidia or something ?

http://tinyurl.com/bqqrvx

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:01 pm 
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

No. I don't tink the old card will work in the new pc. What sucks worse is that I have always liked the ATI cards and I had even gotten a second 5770 to install in crossfire mode, but there is no point in doing that until the drivers are fixed. I just keep searching for fixes, but no luck so far.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:53 pm 
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

I don't think it's an ATI/windows 7 issue..... One of the two maybe but, Many people are running the two together with no problems... Uninstall your ATI drivers, use driver sweeper, reboot into safe mode, use driver sweeper again, then re-install ATI drivers... See if that helps..

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:23 am 
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

According to multiple forums, the latest ATI driver (Catalyst 9.11) is conflicting with windows 7 64 bit. The problem is that the ATI 5770 isn't supported by any drivers prior to 9.11 that are compatable with windows 7. I am going to wait until 9.12 is released wednesday and if that doesn't fix it, I'll try getting a refund on the card and try something else I guess.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:05 am 
Loves to Spam
Loves to Spam

Do you need 64 bit ? I think there are lots of things that still have trouble with it. I put win 7 32 bit in mine even though I was supplied with 64 bit too. I have no need for 64 bit just yet.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:46 am 
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

The only reason I went with the 64 bit was to be able to have the option to run things in compatability (previous versions of windows). I guess I could try 32 bit for a while, but I hate to buy it again after already paying for the 64 bit (as part of the set up). I read, for instance, that COD2 will only run with compatability set at XPSP2. Will it run on 7 32 bit?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:21 am 
Loves to Spam
Loves to Spam

I am running COD and UO on Win 7 32 bit and not in compatibility mode either. The option to run programmes in XP mode come with Professional and ultimate not Premium. COD UO and not sure on COD 2 will not run on 64 bit anyway.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:58 pm 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

The other thing to note is, I see your new rig has 6GB of Ram. The 32-bit version will only "see" roughly 3.5GB (about 2.75-3.5GB of RAM after IO reservations are factored in), the 64-bit will allow you to use the full 6GB. Now, will you see a noticeable difference between 3.5 and 6GB, maybe, of course that depends on how many memory intensive applications u run. U know, multi-tasking.

According to COD and UO is compatible with win7 64 bit. Pretty useful link to see if software is compatible. Hope this helps.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:22 am 
Loves to Spam
Loves to Spam

QA on Activision site says. Unless someone made a fix.

Call of duty PC
Will this game work with Windows XP 64?
Question
Will this game work with Windows XP 64?
Answer
No. This game is a 32-bit application and as such will not work on Windows XP 64.

From what I remember of other members problems. It will not even install on 64bit.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:59 am 
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

hmm...the cod2, cod 5, cod:mw2 all installed fine. the new drivers were supposed to be out on the 16th and got pushed back to 17th so I think I will see if the new drivers come out and fix things. If they don't, i'll try 32 bit and I can always re-install the 64 bit later if I want too I guess. thanks for all the help. I'm not super computer savy so I have been searching forums non-stop for solutions. It certainly is frustrating trying to find/waiting for a solution. I am always leary about installing a new OS before sp1 for it comes out. Makes me wonder about upgrading the laptop from vista too? I think I'll wait a while.

Board index » {uZa}GENERAL FORUMS » All Things Computers