Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » {uZa}GENERAL FORUMS » All Things Computers

Post subject: HELP!!!!
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:59 am 
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

I'm about to toss this new computer to the curb!!! got the lasest drivers (ATI 9.12) and the stupid thing still won't play games. Here is the deal: ATI HD 5770 vid card, ASUS x58 p6t se mobo, windows 7 64 bit OS. Can anyone hlp? 9.12 catalyst released yesterday for vid card. I don't want to spend $199 on a new OS. Already spent $$ on a second 5770 vid card. Tried the hotfix from ATI. Nvidia is having similar problems. I just don't get how you can buy a "high end" card and pc and the thing doesn't work. I am beyond po'd. help please!!!! I just want to be able to play games. The damn thing locks up about 20-30 seconds into any game (old or new). I've searched forums/websites for weeks now for a solution and can't find anything. Thought the new drivers would be a fix and they aren't. I'm giving it 24hrs and then I guess I'll make a decision on changing OS or vid cards. Suggestions?

Post subject: Re: HELP!!!!
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:01 am 
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

Here are the full system specs:

Case -(Thermaltake V9 Gaming Tower Case - Blue)
iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction(Advanced - iBUYPOWER Harmony SRS Sound Reduction System - Improved Airflow Silent Fans)
iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion(None)
Case Lighting - (Cold Cathode Neon Light - Blue)
Processor - (Intel® Core™ i7 960 Processor (4x 3.20GHz/8MB L3 Cache))
Processor Cooling - (iBUYPOWER Napoleon CPU Cooling Fan System Kit)
Memory - (6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1333 Triple Memory Module - Corsair XMS3 Dominator w/DHX technology)
Video Card - (ATI Radeon HD 5770 - 1GB - Single Card)
Video Card Brand - (Major Brand Powered by ATI or NVIDIA)
Motherboard - (Asus P6T SE -- Intel X58 Chipset CrossFire Supported w/7.1 Sound, Triple-Channel DDR3, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, Triple PCI-E MB)
Power Supply - (1000 Watt -- Corsair CMPSU-1000HX Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready)
Primary Hard Drive - (300 GB WD Velociraptor HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 10000 RPM, 3.0Gb/s - Single Drive)
Data Hard Drive - (2x Barracuda 250 GB, 7200 RPM)
Optical Drive - (22X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - [Lightscribe Technology] Black)
2nd Optical Drive - ([8X Blu-Ray] LG BLU-RAY Re-Writer & DVD±R/±RW Burner Combo Drive - Black)
Meter Display - (XION Color LCD Thermal Control Panel)
Sound Card - (3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard)
Network Card - (Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100))
Operating System - (Microsoft Windows 7 Professional - 64-Bit)

Post Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:41 am 
Loves to Spam
Loves to Spam

I think now your next job is removing and testing things one at at time. Are the people who built it willing to help. ? 1st thing I would do now is take the side off stick a big table fan blowing in it and eliminate heat problem. Are the card and board compatible, when I had my first PC built I had a 3 year warranty it had 6 different cards in it before one of the tech guys realised that the card and board did not like each other. They would run for a bit then lock up they were running that hot, the labels peeled off. If it is using a sound card make sure that they disabled the onboard sound in Bios you never know, it might be a sound conflict that shuts it down when playing games. Stick at it,it is very frustrating I had problems with mine for a long time.

http://tinyurl.com/bqqrvx

Post Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:40 am 
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

Tried turning off on board audio in bios, checked vid card compatability with windows 7 64 bit, checked mobo site and people are using same vid/mobo setup. Still not working. Searching forums and nothing still. The computer company took down my info and said they would call back, but nothing for a week now. Tried increasing the vid card fan speed and it is still running cool. Should I try the other card I bought to do crossfire? Maybe switching them out might make a difference? I am afraid to put them both in and run in crossfire if I can't get one to work by itself. Looked into getting Win7 32 bit and it seems to have drawbacks + it cost $299. I think my 64 bit came with a 32 bit, but won't I have to install all the other drivers and lose some ram? I really wish sombody could just come in and fix everything so it will work. I am guessing that I can't take the thing somewhere and have that done, can I?

Post Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:47 am 
Loves to Spam
Loves to Spam

If you bought a retail copy of Win 7 then you should have a copy of Win 7 32 bit with it (look in the box) I did. What you could do then is install that on a spare hard drive and yes put all the drivers anti virus and stuff back on and give that a try. 32 bit does only see 3.5 of the ram or something like that. but I have yet to come across anything these days that you would need much more for. If you are just using it for gaming the graphics cards will do most of the work anyway.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:55 am 
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

I still don't think it has anything to do with Windows 7 64bit..... I recently built a buddy a Computer using...........

EVGA x58 LE
3x2GB DDR3 OCZ
2x ATI 5870s
Corsair HX1000 PSU
Win 7 64bit

without any problems.... Are your cards getting the power they need? maybe one of your PCI-E slots is faulty.? Are you using the Crossfire bridge? Is the bridge connected right??

Post Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:41 pm 
Loves to Spam
Loves to Spam

Think he only has one card in at the moment. Might be worth trying the other slot.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:08 pm 
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

I think I'll try swapping cards and slots tomorrow and see what happens. I haven't done crossfire yet. I have 3 PCIe slots on the board. I got the windows 7 preinstalled on the computer and I think they sent the installation disk with it so I will check and see what's on it tomorrow. I really think there is some setting somewhere (bios, win 7, etc) that is causing the problem. It would be nice if someone could put up their settings somewhere that has the same set up as me. Somebody has to have the same stuff since all the equipment/software is fairly new to the market and popular.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:30 am 
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

Alright, swapped cards, did more searching, rechecked bios and win settings, still crashing a minute or less into a game. I was going to try changing slots, but I have to take out the "knockouts" on the back of the computer to use another slot and before I start making holes in the case, I think I'm going to try calling the mobo and vid card manufacturers tomorrow to see if they can help. Maybe I should have spent the $$$ and orderd from Dell instead of a smaller company. At least Dell made sure everything worked and was compatable before building it. I just know it's some setting somewhere that has to be the problem. I just don't know where to look or how to fix it.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:47 am 
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

So now the computer won't even load windows 7. I tried to reinstall it and keeps getting stuck. Tried loading it onto a different hard drive and it gets stuck. Called the mobo company and the tech wasn't any help. The guy told me to read the manual....real helpful. Talked to the computer company and they had me pull out the RAM and test the sticks one at a time in different slots. Still can't load windows.

RMA here I come. The computer company thinks it is a mobo problem (right back to where I started with my old computer 2 months ago). They are shipping out a new board to try. Upgraded the vid card while I was at since I haven't heard of nearly as many problems with the ATI 5850. Keeping my fingers crossed. I don't know what I'll do if this doesn't work since I will be past the 30 day money back garantee.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:59 am 
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

it's starting to sound like a PSU issue to me! What PSU do you have in the system?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:21 am 
Mucho Posto!
Mucho Posto!

I have worked on a lot of PC's that had the same issues.
Problem is it could be many different things.
Here are the most popular solutions I found that worked:

1. MB supported the CPU as advertised, but I found I had to update the bios for the specific CPU's that were being used. I have seen this behave like your issues, but most of the time the PC wouldn't even boot.
2. PSU not big enough to handle full load.
3. Memory compatibility issue, this one can cause crashes at many random places, usually during a game or other intensive use.
4. Memory voltage too low, or timings to fast in the bios, this one can cause crashes at many random places, but usually soon after PC turned on.
5. Heat sinks on chipsets on MB were not completely touching. This one can be hard to figure out, Look closely at MB for a hair line space under the heat sinks. Some CPU compound will fix it if this is the problem.

I have seen many similar issues in several PC’s, and the solution can be many different things.
The above list was just the most popular in my experience and does not reflect the most popular solutions for everyone.
My usual strategy is to replace one part at a time to see what fixes it.
That works good, but not if you don’t have extra MB’s, RAM, ect…
So good luck and hope to see you back soon. ;)

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:23 am 
Mucho Posto!
Mucho Posto!

{uZa}D.O.A. wrote:
it's starting to sound like a PSU issue to me! What PSU do you have in the system?

He listed "Power Supply - (1000 Watt -- Corsair CMPSU-1000HX Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready)"

That is a great PSU as long as connected correctly on the rails and not defective.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:34 pm 
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

{uZa}Studdog wrote:
{uZa}D.O.A. wrote:

He listed "Power Supply - (1000 Watt -- Corsair CMPSU-1000HX Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready)"

That is a great PSU as long as connected correctly on the rails and not defective.

I have this same PSU and it went bad on me 5 days after I bought it.... I would try a different PSU and also try only one stick of ram

Post Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:53 am 
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

I tried the one stick of RAM at time method. Is there an easy way to test the PSU? I guess I could pull it out and take it up to best buy and have them check it. The problem isn't so much having extra parts around, because I plan on building a computer for daughter anyway, but I am not really rolling in cash at the moment so spending money on stuff to try could be a problem. I guess I'll try the new board when and gpu when they come and if it still isn't working, I'll try the psu. I think I should have just sent the rig back when it wasn't working right, but I really like it and everything but the games was working. I am just really frustrated tryingall this stuff and still being without my main computer. I got so excited to have an upgraded rig and was let down.

Board index » {uZa}GENERAL FORUMS » All Things Computers