Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » {uZa}GENERAL FORUMS » All Things Computers

Post subject: Re: Is it a waste of money...
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:53 am 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

{uZa}Renegade wrote:
Pci slots are totally different to Pcie slots.

Oh I know but in told comp I have I had bought a agp card I I could have bought a pci card instead the best agp card at the time I could find was a 7600 gs....lol and I think thed 9800 where out availble for pci . I didn't pay attention and a couple of yrs after I bought the comp had to have the motherboard replaced. I didn't place it. But I kept the old paperwork on the motherboard and didn't pay attention. I know I'm a noob. Lol I know just enough to be dangerous and screw things up. Lol.

I just figured I paid 45 bucks for the newer comp. If I could get a good video card for 100 bucks that's still only 150 for the whole thing and be better than I got now and would last til feb or mar when I get a new one.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:04 pm 
Loves to Spam
Loves to Spam

The 9800 is Pcie . Pci e= express, slots are what you need for the graphics cards. You are not a noob :) We all have to learn somewhere, and asking questions is the way to go.

http://tinyurl.com/bqqrvx

Post Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:29 pm 
Mucho Posto!
Mucho Posto!

Ya what Ren said!

Here are some pictures to help you see the difference:

Video PCI Express x 16 (and most AGP slots) always have some form of locking mechanism at the end of the slot (see Pictures).
Also notice that for some unknown to me reason, Video PCI Express x 16 slots come in many colors (see Pictures).

The really small PCIe x 1 slots are for other things like sound cards.

The PCIe x 1 slot was originally designed for video cards, but most of today’s video cards require a PCIe x 16 (version 1.0, 2.0, or 2.1) slot. However, there are cards either on or coming on to the market that do or will make use of the PCIe x 1 slot. Sound cards, wireless cards, TV tuner cards etc. There aren't really all that many things using PCIe 1 x yet, but as regular PCI is phased out, more devices will be available. Currently Sound Cards, Network cards, and SATA cards seem to be the main thing PCIe x 1 is used for.
And to clear up some more potential confusion:
When talking about PCIe slots, you have to make sure the “x” description is what you think it is.

“# x” refers to the interface speed.
“x #” refers to the number of the specific slots.

EXAMPLE: My motherboard has 3 x PCIe x 16 version 2.0 slots.
This example would read; My motherboard has three PCI Express by 16 Interface Speed version 2.0 slots.
So I am able to put three PCIe x 16 video cards in my PC and run 3-Way SLI.
Hope this clarifies a few things for you.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:59 pm 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Yeah thanx. I was kinda into computers 10 yrs ago or so when I built a comp I had. A lot has changed lol when I get the new old comp I'm gonna run belarc on it so its easier to know what it has and what my current comp has that are compatible. My current comp has 3 dvd burners so when it gets here I have a lot of work to do. Lol ill just prolly do some things to it to get it goin and just use it 6mths and pass it to da kids. I already got an enclosure with a usb cord just incase my old hard drive ain't able to be plugged in the motherbroard. I'm also gonna try if its more pwerful switch the power supply on the computers to I think the newer 1 has a pci e but not sure about anything else. So once I open it up I may be screamin. Heeeeelllpp. Lol but thanx for all the help from everyone. Escpecially when I start ill be posting by my android phone or when at work by work comp. Lol

Board index » {uZa}GENERAL FORUMS » All Things Computers