Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » {uZa}GENERAL FORUMS » All Things Computers

Post subject: Buy or Build?
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:30 pm 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

I have never built my own pc, but looking at alot of articles out there state you get more bang from your buck. My question is, with transfering the stuff from one computer to the other like I did was kinda fun (in an insane kinda way lol).

What is better build or buy. Is it as simple as putting the parts together turning it on and putting in a windows 7 install cd, then installing alll the drivers. Are the processors already on the motherboard or do you install them and is it difficult. Are the BIOS already installed. Just curious. Since ya all know I just put some new parts in the computer I'm currently using.

Guessing the hard drive and video card would be ok for alittle while. Just want something that will be upgradable for awhile. And I already have things Like a couple DVD burners, new hard drive and 2 used hard drives. Didnt know if it would save money to get more high quality parts on somethings, then not have to buy other things I already have. For instance I already have a case (if I can use it). Just seems like alot of the computers have things I dont need.

Did know how difficult it would be, also so I would know the system a little better.

Just let me know everyones thoughts. I have never done it before.

Post subject: Re: Buy or Build?
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:39 pm 
Mucho Posto!
Mucho Posto!

Building your own PC is the only way I do it. You do get more bang for your buck, but that only counts toward high end PC's. Otherwise it's hard to beat the price of the mass produced PC's. Gaming is usually best done with a high end PC as you have learned, so building is the best option.

Now I must warn you that building a PC is very easy WHEN you know what you are doing. I can put a PC together from scratch (every component bought seperate) and have the operating system installed in just a couple hours. Without having ever done this, it will be a big learning experience for you. This learning experience is best done with someone there that can help. I learned on my own, and it was frustrating at times, but can be done.
Yet as you stated, it can be very fun and rewarding to do it.
So if you do not have anyone to help you, plan on getting help a lot, and make sure you have one working PC so you can surf for answers.

Now to answer some of your questions:
NO it’s not always as simple as putting in the parts, turning it on, and installing windows, maybe sometimes, but not always. Everything has to be compatible; for example: Processor, Memory, Motherboard, and Power Supply must all be compatible. You will find a lot of parts are standard parts likd DVD-ROM, HardDrive, ect., just different speeds and a few different connection types (IDE, SATA,…)
The processors are NOT installed already on the motherboard, but installation is easy, just follow the included directions.
Bios is always pre-installed, but may need to be updated to the current version. This is especially important when you are installing a top end processor. Sometimes the lower bios versions will not support the higher processors, and the PC won’t start unless it’s updated or you install a lower end processor then update the bios. Just another example of the MANY compatibility issues that have to be worked on or watched out for.
As for your case: When building your own PC it usually works best with an aftermarket case. Sometimes the manufacturers of PC’s will make things too custom for working with, but aftermarket cases are very user friendly and universal. I prefer a full ATX tower, has lots of interior room so that video cards and stuff always fit.

It’s kind up to you, it can be fun and frustrating when learning so only take this route if you want to learn and have patience. The upside is, once you start learning how to do it, it just keeps getting easier.
If you want to get a basic idea of what it is like to build a PC, try this:
Find an old PC that works.
Make sure an operating system is installed and the PC works fine.
Then start taking the PC completely apart, mother board out, all wires disconnected, memory out, processor out, power supply out, and so on. Completely strip it down.
Then reinstall everything and see if the PC works. Since the operating system was already installed it should work perfect when you start it, IF everything is re-installed correctly.
That’s how I learned, with old PC’s that people were throwing away.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:25 pm 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

I think I'm gonna try and build it. I have done all the stuff listed except install a processor. I will not be in a hurry so it won't be rushed. Also my son wrks at a electronics store so discounts lol

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:27 pm 
Mucho Posto!
Mucho Posto!

if your thinking your ready to build one I say give it a try, the first one can sometimes be a bit daunting, but once you get it done u'll probably never buy a factory build again. keep all your manuals and warranty information and study study study your motherboard manual for its connections (sometimes those usb connectors can be a pain in the butt) other then that its pretty much straight fw as putting a square building block in the square hole... good luck and keep us posted!

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:53 pm 
Mucho Posto!
Mucho Posto!

Go for it TS,It's so easy even A caveman can do it! (sorry to all you caveman out there.) ;)

Board index » {uZa}GENERAL FORUMS » All Things Computers