Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » {uZa}GENERAL FORUMS » All Things Computers

Post subject: Suggestions
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:21 am 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

I know Im not gonna build this computer for prolly 6mths. But i was looking at parts and gonna continue to watch and buy'em as I find deals

1. What would be a decent porcessor. Should I go Intel or AMD and I was thinkin a quard core, but I started seeing 6 cores. I was leaning to Intel since Ive been looking on the internet and ive seen some videos of AMD's frying due to heat, which I'm hoping with the case I had selected (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... =T925-1293) wouldnt be a problem. I also was thinking a i5 like tis one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 819115067;

2. and this motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 813128425;

I'm lookin for somoething economical but good that in moths I wont be sorry what I got and will be able to play current games for a little while. I use my home computer for internet, gaming and copying new dvd's I purchase. Any suggestions would be of help since I'm not a computer guru by any means...lol

Post subject: Re: Suggestions
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:34 am 
Mucho Posto!
Mucho Posto!

Intel vs AMD is basically the difference between a Chevy and a Ford. each one has it's lemons and work horses. I have always run a intel processor. although you typically spend a little bit more for an equivalent speed of an AMD .. but on the flip side the vast majority of the AMD's run very hot.. as for your rig. I'm not sure which processor and motherboard u were looking at? your links show lots of different models and socket sets... ?

Post Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:47 am 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

{uZa} I_DI_EZ wrote:
I'm not sure which processor and motherboard u were looking at? your links show lots of different models and socket sets... ?

It looks like he was trying to point to a CPU and a MB that were on special, and now the sale is over... The list of products is newegg's version of "We're out of that model, but you might like one of these"...

The Lord helps those who help themselves...
For everyone else, there's Democrats...

Post Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:01 am 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

I would recommend getting a low-end I7 processor if you can swing it... It will be easier to upgrade in the future if you find you have the need (or desire)... The I3's and I5's are more geared towards someone like my wife... Pretty much anything on the shelf at BestBuy will work for everything she does with a computer... But for those of us who need a little extra power, the I7 is currently the way to go... You can currently get an LGA1366 socket I7 from Newegg for about $290... Granted, that is about $100 than the I5 you were looking at, but you will still be able to upgrade (or replace) it for a few years after the I5 has been relegated to being sold only on ebay, and an occasional garage sale...

When building a computer, I have found that if you aim for middle or low end parts, in 2 or 3 years when you want to improve your system, you are going to be stuck building a new box because the parts you need no longer are supported... It's a little more expensive in the beginning, but long term it's well worth it...

The Lord helps those who help themselves...
For everyone else, there's Democrats...

Board index » {uZa}GENERAL FORUMS » All Things Computers