Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » {uZa}GENERAL FORUMS » Console Game Discussions

Post subject: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:15 pm 
Mucho Posto!
Mucho Posto!

I never even looked at the Elder Scrolls saga for more than about five minutes in total until the entire saga (so far) went on sale on Steam for $12, and almost immediately I became hooked on this series, as it very much relates to Fallout. Best thing about all this, is I got into these games late, and therefore, my suffering to wait for Skyrim is eased more than others. But now that I'm hooked on Oblivion, I decided to check out Skyrim and I am absolutely blown away with what I've seen and read so far, more so that even BF3. Here's a demo of what's to come that I am just dying to play.

Post subject: Re: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:40 am 
Mucho Posto!
Mucho Posto!

This game is so addicting. Bethesda has truly outdone themselves again. There is so much to do; Even after finishing the main quest, I have stacks and stacks of quests that are still piling up. Skyrim is their best world yet, too. It is a beautiful world (accompanied by beautiful music, too), that comes to life in this game, with incredibly detailed landscapes that you sometimes find yourself just admiring (I've taken tons of pictures of the landscapes, particularly the water areas for their detail). You could fast-travel between places to save time, but you may just find yourself wanting to just walk for the sheer thrill of adventure and journey. The leveling system is fantastic, combat is great and just the overall aspect of "play how you want" and "you are what you play" is perfect. Full-on character creation in a completely free-roaming environment. Design the face, add hair, color the hair, color the eyes (some awesome eyes, too!), make your character look like a bad-ass with warpaint (also can be colored) and kick-ass scars. You can even change the race to three different types of elves (Wood, High Elf and Dark Elf), a human (Nord, Imperial, Breton), an Argonian (Humanoid lizard), Kajjit (Humanoid Cat) or an orc. You can be male or female with all races, and each race has its own unique attribute that distinguishes it (Kajiits, for example, are more agile, better melee fighters, of course, cause they're cats! Wood elfs are better at stealth, archery and theft, and high elves are better mages) Still, even with each race having its own unique, natural feature you get to play what you want. There's no strictly mage, or strictly warrior, or thief. You can be a mage warrior, mage thief, or balance all three, and it's not the typical RPG, where you click where you want your player to go, and combat being a virtual chest game. You are in complete control of your character. All combat, whether hand-to-hand melee, or magic/range combat is in real time. You also needn't have a certain level to use anything. You can start wearing heavy armors at level one (provided you find any at that level), and using advanced, enchanted weapons that slay bears in just a few strikes. The only limitation to level you have is using magic, really. Some spells are so advanced, they demand a certain amount of magica to use, and if you don't meet that criteria you can't use the spell, even though you've learned it. There is so much in this game, you really can't just pick it up and go, like your average shooter. You'll find yourself looking up information on the web, or trying to learn things in-game to better your knowledge of the Elder Scrolls games. They've made great improvements over Oblivion, particularly with archery, which I thought was terrible in Oblivion. With the great improvement, I now find archery much more reliable and enjoyable. Weapon choices seem to grow more and more with newer styles, and enchantments. The same goes for armor, and I can't wait to see what the community does with new armors (also can't wait for the expansion packs!).

Only a few downsides that I'm sure can be fixed with modding (yes, Bethesda STILL allows third-party modding), is the dragons. They aren't as "epic" as they were made out to be. They rarely just fly around. Often, they just circle one particular area forever until you happen along, and they are too weak. Bethesda talked about dragons being able to burn down towns, but all it takes is an average group of town guards armed with bows and decent swords to take one down. At least the normal dragons. Still, tougher dragons like the frost dragon and blood dragon are just too easy to kill now, that I almost just stir away from them, because it just doesn't have that "epic" feel that I was hoping for, that satisfaction of slaying a dragon. Other than that, the dragons are really a part of the Skyrim world, and I sometimes don't even want to bother one, because they really are majestic creatures and fun to watch as they fly around and their hallow cries echo through the land. They are also, for the most part, random and unscripted, which is great.

The overall feel of the world, and liveliness is great, too. No matter where you go, you are always accompanied by some form of wildlife, or other people. There are always elk, rabbits, foxes, and mountain goats roaming around (that you can hunt and either cook their meat, provided you have the right ingredients and a place to cook it, or sell the meat at a near-by town. Or, you can cook the food and then sell it for a better price). Then the occasional encounter of other people, who can be friendly and sometimes unfriendly. The feature of giants and mammoths are amazing, and they are a huge part of the world coming alive (and don't mess with them if you are below level five! Below level ten is still risky!). You can talk to about anyone and acquire side-quests by asking about rumors that can grant you experience, new inventory or gold in exchange for the deed (killing a bandit chief, for example). The main quest is just a part of the game, a key part, but just a part. Like I said, the game doesn't stop after the main quest is finished. You can join one of the two waring factions over Skyrim, the Imperial Legion, or the Stormcloaks. Which is essentially the organized army vs a rebellion, and it starts you on a whole new adventure. On top of that, you can join guilds like the Thieves Guild, the Dark Brotherhood of Assassins, the Companions, or the Mages Guild. You can go wreak havoc on a city and grow a bounty for your capture in that area of the world. You can also speak to the Jarl, essentially the mayor of the city, to collect bounties sometimes.

Or, you can literally purchase a house in a city and just live there, find a job at a saw mill, become a local hunter, miner or blacksmith and really earn money for what you do. And you don't need to live in the world alone. Find yourself someone you like and marry them! Now, you have a spouse to live with, who can provide you with food, and if they are involved in the Skyrim economy somehow (miner, lumber jack, blacksmith, jeweler, etc.) they bring in a profit of 100 coin a day that builds up if you don't go and collect it.

There is so much to do and say about this amazing and addicting game, but I'd rather you all see for yourself, should you decide to buy it. I'd recommend it to anyone who is getting tired of the shooter genre and looking for something different, such as my dad. But like I said, it's not a pick up and play. You'll literally find yourself learning as you go. I'll close by explaining a few more things I'd like to see, that hopefully the modding community addresses. I'd like to see more exotic creatures. I feel like some of the areas, particularly the plains around Whiterun is missing something. It's too big and empty. It just feels like its missing something. I love the mammoths, they really add to the variety of creatures, but I'd like to see something even bigger roaming the fields. Something that always comes to mind is like in Jurassic Park, where the long-necks roamed around the plains. How awesome it would be to see a creature about the size of, say a giraffe, or even a larger mammoth creature roaming around, in packs across the fields that can be frightened into stampeding, which would in tern, add a whole new challenge when facing foes in the wilderness. I'd like to see bigger and harder dragons (have yet to encounter elder dragons or ancient dragons, which are said to be among the most powerful). I'd also like to see a slower rate of time. The days end too fast, and I don't like traveling at night, because I don't like the idea of not being able to see, particularly in the dark. I'm beginning to grow more and more to the liking of the additional feature of co-op play with one, to maybe five friends online. At first, I didn't care, either way, but many people, including myself now want Bethesda to, for the first time, add online playing. Not an MMO, but something like Borderlands. I'd love to play along with fellow clan-mates in a party of this addicting game. A few other things I can't think of. Overall, this is a must for anyone who is looking for a game to get glued for a long time.

Post subject: Re: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:00 pm 
Loves to Spam
Loves to Spam

The game is pretty sick I've poured hours into it, lvl 59. I have no complaints about modding or anything like that since I play on the 360. Wouldn't do any good for me. There is a Ancient dragon near that Markath town in the West.

Im looking forward to keep playing this so many quests, still have like 20 in my list to do and i know there will be 20 more. And the expansion packs that will be coming out, Oblivion had so many great expansions and add ons. I recommend everyone to get this game, just give your self time sit down and spend some time on it, no point saying i have 20 minutes of time to play so im going to play you might not even make it to your destination in that period of time lol.

Board index » {uZa}GENERAL FORUMS » Console Game Discussions