Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » OTHER GAMES WE PLAY » Guild Wars

Post subject: Hey Ren... Beat bison fight with your monk...
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:52 am 
Loves to Spam
Loves to Spam

Found this and gave it a go with my monk, and it works like a charm. Actually would probably work well for any profession with monk secondary except low energy professions like Warrior. Blasted through all of them including Bison at the end like three times until I got the Rit hero and "Finish Him" skill I wanted.

Monk primary or secondary
This build is suitable for high-energy professions (35 or more energy, +4 energy regeneration)

"You Move Like a Dwarf!"
Ebon Vanguard Assassin Support
Ray of Judgment
Bane Signet
Signet of Rage
Castigation Signet
Protective Bond
Scourge Healing

12 or more Smiting prayers, 8...12 Protection prayers, 9 Divine Favor. Smiting staff or wand/focus.

"You Move Like a Dwarf!": main knock down and cripple shout.
Ebon Vanguard Assassin Support: distracts and keeps an opponent in place, some damage too.
Ray of Judgment: main damage while opponent is still crippled and kept in place by assassin.
Signets: additional damage and knock down without spending energy.
Scourge Healing: used against Mo and W/Mo to suppress their healing.
Protective Bond (can be replaced with Protective Spirit): protective skill from fatal strikes, cast it before entering the arena.

The main idea of build: pressing with holy damage. Most opponents can be defeated in few seconds using skills from 1 to 5 only once. However, some opponents are harder. Advice: try to attack as fast as possible. Attack only opponents, not their pets. After using the last signet (if opponent is still not defeated), use the "You Move Like a Dwarf" shout again and attack opponent with staff, until skills and +30 energy are restored. Run around the arena avoiding melee combat.

To defeat Magni the Bison, you need to cut about 40% of his bear's health in first round, the same in second one; if he returns to normal form having less than about 30% health, you win immediately, otherwise you win in 3rd round.

Post subject: Re: Hey Ren... Beat bison fight with your monk...
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:59 pm 
Loves to Spam
Loves to Spam

Here is the template code. I got all the skills.

OwUVEqG54XBVymcX0nBloey67gYfAA

http://tinyurl.com/bqqrvx

Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:09 am 
Loves to Spam
Loves to Spam

Ok, now that you have "Finish Him" from the Bison Fight, here is that "Smiting A/P Monk" build I talked about. It is very powerful indeed, and gives a new lease on life to your monk character now that with 7 heroes on a team a human healing / protection monk is not that needed and most smiting builds have real energy issues. This build can just blast through the game if you have some decent heroes as well.

Attachment:
gw002.jpg

Template code is:

OwcT4Y44ZaXUNaBy6zmMLKmElAA

The way this build works is that you put Assassin's Promise (A/P) on a bad guy, then hit him with damage skills. I like to hit him with a Vanguard Assassin Support to start holding him in place and doing damage, then fire You Move Like a Dwarf to really stop him in his tracks and Kirin's Wrath to do serious damage. Be sure to use You Move Like a Dwarf just before Kirin's Wrath, or they can run away from the damage skill. It is a 5 second AoE skill. YMLaD will hold him in place.

By then, with most monsters, it is well below 50% health. NOW is when this build really shows off.

Hit him with Finish Him, and he dies. When he does, you get all your skills back fully recharged instantly, and a ton of energy (the bane of monks in general is running out of energy in a big fight). Now you just C-Space or Tab to move to the next monster, and repeat the process.

You can basically just kill stuff about as fast as you can click the skills. With a mob of level 20 or less enemies, you can do it so fast that you can end up with 3 or 4 Vanguard Assassin Support guys running around just cutting the crap out of everything.

For really tough enemies like bosses or Destroyers at the end of EotN, you might have to use a couple of the other damage skills to get him down to the point where Finish Him does the job. On these, hold off on using Assassin's Promise until they have lost some health, so it doesn't run out before the monster is dead. If it runs out before the enemy dies, you can end up with little energy and skills needing recharge. It takes just a bit of practice to see when to hold off on A/P on a tough enemy, and when to just use it first so the heroes don't kill the guy before you can cast it. On tough enemies it pays to call your target with CTRL-Skill so all the heroes are working on the same guy, and not off shoe shopping or having tea.

The only other time you can get out of whack is if you put A/P on an enemy, and he strips it off before he dies. This is another reason to get used to the timing of when to put it on. Too soon and you risk the enemy or enemy monk stripping it off. Too late, and your heroes will kill it before you can get A/P going on him. You might end up with A/P recharging and have to just use the smiting skills as normal until it becomes available again. As soon as it does though, you are right back on track and killing stuff as fast as you can.

I really like this build. I did the Fire Islands in Prophecies and pretty much all of EoTN with it, and just blasted through quests and missions.

I find it works better the more "rank" you have in the Norn Title (which makes both You Move like a Dwarf and Finish Him more powerful) but anything 4 or over is going to be ok. I also like to put Radiant insignias on my armor, to maximize the amount of energy the character has, and I use a 20/20 (HCT and HRC) single handed smiting wand and a 20/20 (HCT and HRC) smiting offhand from Leviathan Pits. What they call a "40/40 Set". That way you have the maximum chance of casting as fast as possible, and if you do get into recharge hell, you have a better chance things will charge back up faster. Not critical though, about any smiting weapon will do.

P.S. If you want to carry a rez, I would recommend losing that second skill, Spear of Light. I find it is the one I need / use the least. Keep the Bane Signet, it can be very useful if things get out of sync, as it doesn't require any energy. In general I just let most of the heroes carry a rez, and don't myself. To be honest, with 7 heroes on a team and no weedy/stupid henchies, as well as the new PvE skills available, I find I almost never regret not having a rez. Team wipes are pretty rare, as long as a hero can get you back up if you die.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:44 am 
Loves to Spam
Loves to Spam

BTW, I find it works best if you have a hero team that is a bit "front line" heavy, so you can stand in the back and not have to worry about protecting yourself and running away from enemies all up in your grill. I use both Ritualists, one a stone cold killer SoS spirit spamming build and the other a spirit / channeling / Restoration build with some protection. Then if the area is good for it, I use an MM for more blocking, and probably MOX or Meloni dervish heroes. Toss in an echo SS necro and the two monks and you should be good.

This will vary a bit depending on the area, as MM's are not good everywhere. If there are big mobs in the area, I like a Ranger hero with Splinter Weapon and Barrage too. The two Rits are pretty much a constant though. They work everywhere and are the best killers in the game.

Board index » OTHER GAMES WE PLAY » Guild Wars