Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » {uZa}GENERAL FORUMS » All Things Computers » Windows 7

Post subject: Windows 7 RELEASE CANDIDATE
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:02 am 
Loves to Spam
Loves to Spam

The release candidate of Windows 7 is due out on May 5th to the general public. It will expire after one year, and the actual release will probably be in the fall sometime. So if you install it now you are safe. You will be able to upgrade to the release version long before the RC runs out.

I highly recommend going to Windows 7. (now or when it releases) It is rock solid and really has a lot of improvements over Vista. XP I don't even want to talk about. It's an 8-year-old operating system...

Shhhh... The RC is out now if you want a jump on the May 5th date. It was released to developers on MSDN and hit the usenet/torrent world about 30 seconds later.

32 Bit - http://www.mininova.org/tor/2521167
64 Bit - http://www.mininova.org/tor/2521354

Just one word of advice... Do a "clean" install. Backup, nuke your hard drive and install from scratch. Then reinstall your software and copy back your data. Don't "upgrade" in place from XP or Vista. It might work just fine, but you should never "upgrade" to a whole new version of the OS. Your PC will thank you and you will have far fewer hassles.

Post subject: Re: Windows 7 RELEASE CANDIDATE
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:06 am 
Loves to Spam
Loves to Spam

Click for full image

Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:17 am 
Loves to Spam
Loves to Spam

Some appropriate backgrounds depending on your OS...

Click to view full...

Windows 7

Windows Vista

Windows XP

Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:47 am 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

{uZa}Lonesome Eagle wrote:
Some appropriate backgrounds depending on your OS...

Click to view full...

Windows 7

Windows Vista

Windows XP

hahahahahahaha

Thanks for the heads up Eagle. I'll snag it when I get home tonight.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:48 pm 
Sexy Canadian
Sexy Canadian

Hmmm I will have to show Marky this, though he is on Mac.

Do you recommend this for me? I tend to break things.... :|

Post Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:54 pm 
Loves to Spam
Loves to Spam

{uZa}Canadian Girl wrote:
Hmmm I will have to show Marky this, though he is on Mac.

Do you recommend this for me? I tend to break things.... :|

I recommend that anyone on Vista move to this as soon as it releases. It's a huge improvement.

For you CG, I would go for the 32bit version and get away from 64bit for the time being. There is no real advantage to 64bit in your configuration, and it just causes occasional hassles.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:26 pm 
Sexy Canadian
Sexy Canadian

Alrighty, I will get started....I will pick your brain some more. :)

Post Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:33 pm 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Woot. Just got through installing it and am typing this from it. Install was a breeze and MAN it feels fast so far. Gonna go get some drivers updated real quick.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:48 pm 
Loves to Spam
Loves to Spam

{uZa}sCaryDeth wrote:
Woot. Just got through installing it and am typing this from it. Install was a breeze and MAN it feels fast so far. Gonna go get some drivers updated real quick.

Get the Windows 7 nVidia drivers. Just tell it you have Windows 7 when you search for drivers. There is a Windows 7 Creative driver set as well, if you have a Creative sound card.

Most everything else you just use Vista drivers and they work like a charm.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:50 pm 
Sexy Canadian
Sexy Canadian

Sheesh...I am having problems trying to burn all my pictures I have taken over the last year...

Going to transfer them to a portable hard drive....

...plus all my brushes... :shock:

Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:58 am 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Sheesh...I am having problems trying to burn all my pictures I have taken over the last year...

I think EVERYONE should have some sort of NAS setup these days. I paid $300 including the drives and now have a place to permanently store all my important files, backups of my PCs, and Music, Pics, and movies that I like to share between my PCs.

It's fully redundant too so if a drive fails on it, no data is lost. Just replace it and go!

Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:02 am 
Loves to Spam
Loves to Spam

{uZa}sCaryDeth wrote:

I think EVERYONE should have some sort of NAS setup these days. I paid $300 including the drives and now have a place to permanently store all my important files, backups of my PCs, and Music, Pics, and movies that I like to share between my PCs.

It's fully redundant too so if a drive fails on it, no data is lost. Just replace it and go!

NAS (Network Attached Storage) is a good idea if you do a lot of sharing between PC's, especially if the sharing is intensive like streaming movies. Keeps the CPU/Drive access load down on your main machine, and means when you want to reinstall Windows you are not worried about backing up your pictures, movies, music etc. Not a cheap approach though, as the NAS device is in effect another PC. Probably overkill for most folks at home.

A second hard drive with a nightly image of your main drive using Acronis would work for most folks. When you want to reinstall Windows you just nuke, reinstall Windows, install Acronis, and restore all your pictures, movies, music and such from last nights image. Adds the benefit that you are fully backed up in case of a drive failure, virus, Windows yaks up a hairball, etc.

Having RAID on the NAS is a great idea... However, for your main computer, remember that RAID is NOT a backup. It's about "fault tolerance/uptime". If you get a virus, mess up your Windows configuration so it has to be reinstalled, accidentaly delete your Sopranos collection etc. RAID will happily propagate the mess to all drives and you are out of luck. Have RAID if you want, but if money is tight, choose a second internal/external drive and Acronis or Norton Ghost or something to do nightly backups. Did I mention... RAID is NOT a backup.

x25

Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:11 am 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

{uZa}sCaryDeth wrote:

NAS (Network Attached Storage) is a good idea if you do a lot of sharing between PC's, especially if the sharing is intensive like streaming movies. Keeps the CPU/Drive access load down on your main machine, and means when you want to reinstall Windows you are not worried about backing up your pictures, movies, music etc. Not a cheap approach though, as the NAS device is in effect another PC. Probably overkill for most folks at home.

A second hard drive with a nightly image of your main drive using Acronis would work for most folks. When you want to reinstall Windows you just nuke, reinstall Windows, pop in the Acronis CD, and restore all your pictures, movies, music and such from last nights image. Adds the benefit that you are fully backed up in case of a drive failure, virus, Windows yaks up a hairball, etc.

Having RAID on the NAS is a great idea... However, for your main computer, remember that RAID is NOT a backup. It's about "fault tolerance/uptime". If you get a virus, mess up your Windows configuration so it has to be reinstalled, accidentaly delete your Sopranos collection etc. RAID will happily propagate the mess to all drives and you are out of luck. Have RAID if you want, but if money is tight, choose a second internal/external drive an Acronis or Norton Ghost or something to do nightly backups. Did I mention... RAID is NOT a backup.

x25

Are we crossing lines here? At what point did I say raid was a backup?

Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:14 am 
Loves to Spam
Loves to Spam

{uZa}sCaryDeth wrote:
{uZa}sCaryDeth wrote:

A second hard drive with a nightly image of your main drive using Acronis would work for most folks. When you want to reinstall Windows you just nuke, reinstall Windows, pop in the Acronis CD, and restore all your pictures, movies, music and such from last nights image. Adds the benefit that you are fully backed up in case of a drive failure, virus, Windows yaks up a hairball, etc.

Having RAID on the NAS is a great idea... However, for your main computer, remember that RAID is NOT a backup. It's about "fault tolerance/uptime". If you get a virus, mess up your Windows configuration so it has to be reinstalled, accidentaly delete your Sopranos collection etc. RAID will happily propagate the mess to all drives and you are out of luck. Have RAID if you want, but if money is tight, choose a second internal/external drive an Acronis or Norton Ghost or something to do nightly backups. Did I mention... RAID is NOT a backup.

x25

Are we crossing lines here? At what point did I say raid was a backup?

You didn't... I sorta drifted off topic.. ;-)

Post Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:48 am 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Click for full image

Dude! That desktop looks awesome! Mind walking us through the steps to get a similar setup? What Gadgets you're using, how you got the shortcut links on the desktop tp look so smooth and blend so well, etc?

Board index » {uZa}GENERAL FORUMS » All Things Computers » Windows 7