Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » OTHER GAMES WE PLAY » AION

Post subject: Aion (Moved from PC Game Discussions)
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:44 am 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

http://www.aiononline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is just the continuation of a discussion that was started in the WoW forums.

The Open Beta started today. It was about 45 mins late but other than that it went off without a hitch. I played it about 15 or so hours minus time to eat, etc.

The game is AWESOME! Pretty much every aspect of the game feels very fluid. A couple of members I grouped with commented that some of it felt like GW. It's been sooo long since I tried GW that I couldn't say personally.

Compared to AoC and WAR (Many of you will remember how much I loved WAR when it first came out), this games puts it to shame polish wise. I guess that's to be expected since it's been out a year or so already.

The Combo attack system is what's going to make this game fun for me I think. They put a TON of work into making some really unique attack styles and the Combo system isn't near as complex as I initially believed it would be.

Being a PvP guy (FPS roots and all), I can't WAIT to get into the upper levels and see how the PvP is going to be. RvR was what sold me in WAR but it was such a DOG when there's was a crapload of people on the screen. When I first logged into Aion, I swear there must've been 100 people in front of me AT LEAST and it was smooth as silk while still being one of the nicest looking MMO's I've ever seen.

I'll dish out more details as I get farther along but feel free to ask any questions and I'll answer them if I can.

Post subject: Re: Aion
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:01 am 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

{uZa}Canadian Girl wrote:
What server are you on? Or are you on one yet?

For Open beta, we're on Isrephel. I'll likely be on as Retsah so say hi if you get in!

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:31 pm 
Sexy Canadian
Sexy Canadian

Ok I will try that server, what side did you pick?

I did play for a bit last night....it took me awhile to get off the character creation part.....so many options..hairstyles etc. :shock:

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:55 pm 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Ok I will try that server, what side did you pick?

I did play for a bit last night....it took me awhile to get off the character creation part.....so many options..hairstyles etc. :shock:

hahahahahah yea it's crazy! We're playing Elyos.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:39 am 
Sexy Canadian
Sexy Canadian

I made it lvl 4, liking the game so far. :) My character is Snowhaven....Canadianish.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:42 am 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Here's a little bit more info I posted to some friends asking about the game:

OK, my thoughts so far after a few days playing time (Minus all the connection issues everyone is having because I know those will get worked out):

Gameplay - Flawless. Controls feel very fluid and the game feels quite solid in this area. Probably the most important piece in a PvP centric game. Flight combat still feels a bit awkward to me, but I'm sure it'll get better in time. I wish they would do something to where when you pop your wings, you could just use the same keys that you use for normal movement (Spacebar = Jump/Move up, etc.) but you can't.

Graphics - Most excellent. Best looking game I've played, especially when it comes to the combat moves. And I've encountered no slowdowns at all in this game. Even when around a ton of other players.

Complexity - Not too sure about this. I'm only at 17 right now and I've already got like 14 different skills to use. I'm having a hard time finding a good rotation that works around cooldowns, let alone trying to keybind everything so I'm not clicking on some of them. I still haven't learned which moves are more effective than others though so I'm sure many of the moves will get removed from the action bar in due time. Right now I've just been trying to use everything. In PvP I think my brain can handle a handful of skills (minus combos of course) max before I have to start looking at my keyboard which would mean I'm d3@d. lol

Instanced Game - Mike was right. At least to this point, the game is instanced. That's not game breaking by any means, but yea, I'm not a fan of it at all. Kyle thought it might only be through the nub zones, but there are still different channels even now for me.

Chat Windows - Yuck! Not only can you not set the background Opacity, and channels that are created (I created an SWST channel for instance so we could all join it) aren't auto joined when you log in so you have to do it every single time you log.

That's about all I can think of for now. I will say that Retsah already looks so p1mp it's not even funny!

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:42 am 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

I made it lvl 4, liking the game so far. :) My character is Snowhaven....Canadianish.

ahhhh so that was you! lol I was wondering who that was! :)

Post Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:00 pm 
Sexy Canadian
Sexy Canadian

I do agree on the graphics, they are great. I haven't played too much as I am stuck on the create a character screen.

One thing I noticed is there isn't any aggro like in Guild wars or WoW unless the higher lvls attack you. Though I have died about 6 times.

I am liking the game so far.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:49 pm 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

I do agree on the graphics, they are great. I haven't played too much as I am stuck on the create a character screen.

One thing I noticed is there isn't any aggro like in Guild wars or WoW unless the higher lvls attack you. Though I have died about 6 times.

I am liking the game so far.

Oh yea... That definitely changes at higher levels so be prepared! :)

Post Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:20 pm 
Sexy Canadian
Sexy Canadian

I have never played a Beta before.....I don't think I have...

So what will happen when the game launches, we start from scratch? Also do we get to keep our names? I noticed it is hard to get a name now. :shock:

Post Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:53 pm 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Well I got my wings last night 8-)

So far I am enjoying it, and the graphics ar eye popping amazing..I catch myself just standing around and looking at the scenery. :lol:

Scary do let us know about the character reset? Because if we do I will probably hold off until the release.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:34 pm 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Yes, everything gets wiped for release. This is more or lest to test server stability, etc.

If you order the CE, you get a 2 day head start and can even log in another 2 days earlier than that and pre-register your names.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:24 am 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Not sure if I'm going to get much more play time in this weekend before beta closes so I wanted to take screenshots of my toons for posterity. I got both a Tank (Templar) and a healer (Cleric) to 18 as of these screenshots.

http://xtremedfw.com/palbum/albums/userpics/retsah.jpg

http://xtremedfw.com/palbum/albums/userpics/retsha.jpg

Post Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:28 am 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Well, this is my first real experience playing a MMORPG. I've played RPG's like KOTOR and such, but only in single player. This game is fun. I like the idea of having things to do in a game. (instead of just runnin and gunnin) It's very easy to get the hang of, at least for basic gameplay. I may have to indulge, but due to life, I may have to postpone a little. I have to say I've enjoyed my first real experience in this game type.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:16 pm 
Sexy Canadian
Sexy Canadian

{uZa}CrazySpinner wrote:
Well, this is my first real experience playing a MMORPG. I've played RPG's like KOTOR and such, but only in single player. This game is fun. I like the idea of having things to do in a game. (instead of just runnin and gunnin) It's very easy to get the hang of, at least for basic gameplay. I may have to indulge, but due to life, I may have to postpone a little. I have to say I've enjoyed my first real experience in this game type.

I am glad you enjoy the game. I have played both WoW and Guild Wars and both great games. Aion is a nice change.

We will have to try and get on the same server. It would be great to quest with all of you. a6

Board index » OTHER GAMES WE PLAY » AION