Main Site | Forum Index | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |  Register |  Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

I need an amp!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author
{uZa}DeathByMunky
Post Ho

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: I need an amp! Reply with quote

Well, I finally have enough money for a decent guitar amp. I have around $400 or so saved up, but I'm walking into this blind. I really don't even know where to start because there are so many different choices.

I play an Epiphone Les Paul Custom.

I really want something with a great clean sound because I play a lot of finger picking songs.

I have a hard time describing the tone I want, but I want a warm fuzzy sound where all the strings ring out clear, but still sounds slightly distorted. The closest I can find is the lead guitar playing at the beginning and the solos in Champagne Supernova ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3C7DECI0jU )

I'm not sure what else to say or where to go, but I'm open to all suggestions and questions. I appreciate the help!

Author
sCaryDeth
Post Ho

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With this be for playing out live or just in your room jamming with some recording mixed in?

Author
{uZa}fcbcynic
Post Ho

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know where you can find a "Little Amp." Wink Laughing

Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage!

Author
{uZa}HiTechRedneck
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Google... Search for the band, and see if you can find out what amp they use... Search for the different manufacturers out there, and see what they have to offer... Search for the different models, and read some of the reviews on the different amps... Talk to people at a local music store, and get their opinions... When trying to do research, Google is your friend...

Author
{uZa}HiTechRedneck
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

{uZa}fcbcynic wrote:

Now, now, Cynic... Trying to sell, or advertise someone elses children on the internet could potentially have a slightly negative effect on your presidential campaign in the future...

Rolling Eyes

Author
{uZa}Amok
Post Ho

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{uZa}HiTechRedneck wrote:
Now, now, Cynic... Trying to sell, or advertise someone elses children on the internet could potentially have a slightly negative effect on your presidential campaign in the future...

Rolling Eyes

HAHAHAHA... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Respect all, fear none!
Conscia mens recti, famae mendacia ridet.

Author
{uZa}fcbcynic
Post Ho

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{uZa}HiTechRedneck wrote:
{uZa}fcbcynic wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Thank you, HTR, I appreciate your efforts to help keep my public persona clean and unblemished. Wink

Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage!

Author
{uZa}DeathByMunky
Post Ho

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sCaryDeth wrote:
With this be for playing out live or just in your room jamming with some recording mixed in?

This will just be for my room. I really don't need anything more than a combo amp. I'm not looking at stacks or anything yet.

Author
{uZa}Amok
Post Ho

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then a 20W will do, Munky. I bought myself a 65W Fender Combo and I never played it with the volume past 1.5! If I open the volume to 8 or so, the entire village can hear me! Twisted Evil

Respect all, fear none!
Conscia mens recti, famae mendacia ridet.

Author
{uZa}Scorpius
Post Ho

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to get an amp that goes to 11 Very Happy Laughing
Most amps only go to 10 Wink Very Happy

www.wilsonpi.com

Author
sCaryDeth
Post Ho

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go line 6. They have the best cab/amp simulation out there. With a little tweaking you can usually get any sound you want at practice/recording levels.

Because I'm a tube snob, I would recommend you get one of the Spider Valve series because the man behind one of the best Tube Amp manufacturers on the planet designed the power tube section Reinhold Bogner. I speak from personal experience because this is what I play on today since I've retired from doing the band thing. The BEST amp you can get for playing MANY different styles of music.

Of course, that will like run you about $700 so probably more than you're willing to spend. Really, any of the others would be fine for what you're doing.

Something like this would likely do the trick:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Spider-III-120-60Wx2-2x10-Stereo-Guitar-Combo-Amp-103944740-i1168991.gc

Always try to go Stereo just so some of the effects will sound fuller (Like Chorus).

It has built in POD Direct out recording as well to make it simple to record to your PC if you so choose.

Author
{uZa}DeathByMunky
Post Ho

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome.

Thanks everyone, I figured Line 6 would end up being the way I would go even though I would really like a tube. I may go down to my local Sound Shoppe and mess around with some of the amps even though I hate the store. We don't a have a good local store that I enjoy visiting. The workers are lazy and full of themselves, so they don't help you out a lot.

Author
{uZa}LoneStranger
Frag Bait

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play on a Crate GTX 212 with 120W and 2 12"

SPECS....

Brand New Amplifier With Crate 5 Year Limited Warranty
Output Power Rating: 120W RMS @5% THD, 4, 120 VAC
Maximum Input Signal Accepted 7 volts peak-to-peak min. @ 1kHz
Total System Gain Solo Ch 110dB, all controls @10
Rhythm Ch 88dB, all controls @10Clean Ch 58dB, all controls @10
Solo /Rhythm Channels Low Control 20dB range @ 80Hz
Mid Control 15dB range @ 1kHz
High Control 20dB range @ 10kHz
Clean Channel Low Control 36dB range @ 80Hz
Mid Control 15dB range @ 800Hz
High Control 40dB range @ 10kHz
Internal Speaker: (2) Custom Design 12", 8
Input Impedance 470k
Power Requirements: 120 VAC, 60Hz, 95VA 100/115VAC, 50/60Hz, 95VA; 230VAC, 50/60Hz, 95VA
Size and Weight: 21" H x 26-1/2" W x 11" D, 50 lbs

The GTX Tech Effects Series offer variable tweak-ability in the DSP section. The enhanced DSP section on the GTX212 includes the ability to select a multi-effect, add a variety of delay types and styles, modify those delay times through the use of a tap button and then add digital reverb separately. There is a visual indication of channel mode and tap speed for each effect. In addition, all customized effects can be channel tracked to each of the three channels and remain stored even when the amps are powered off. The GTX212 is a true three channel amp. The Solo Channel features Gain, Shape and Level; the Overdrive Channel features Gain, 3 band EQ and Level and the Clean Channel features Volume and three band EQ. Incredibly versatile, loud, and with a myriad of variable effects options, plus three channel function with channel tracking; the GTX212 is an extremely powerful tool for the most discriminating player.

This amp has a very nice clean sound even when it is turned up load. I paid $350 USD but I'm not sure what the going price is now for one.

Clean sound with some Tweeked settings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P03kVIF7FOY&feature=channel_page

This is the same amp Played on the Heavy Rhythm setting with a little delay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNjMh8drFWE&feature=channel

I hope this helps. The amp can be played quietly or if you want you're windows to shack lol you can crank it up. I have never played past 5 on the volume (windows shack to much)

Author
Morgoth
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peavey Valve King here... love it... and Like Scary... I MUST have tubes.

http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116188/ValveKing(R)%20112%20Combo.cfm

http://docer.blogspot.com/

Author
{uZa}DeathByMunky
Post Ho

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morgoth wrote:
Peavey Valve King here... love it... and Like Scary... I MUST have tubes.

http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116188/ValveKing(R)%20112%20Combo.cfm

I would kill to have one of those, but the rest of my money has to go to books for college. Maybe in the future though. Crying or Very sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: