Main Site | Forum Index | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |  Register |  Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

Possible new system, tell me your thoughts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> All Things Computers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author
{uZa}Dellis
Post Ho

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Possible new system, tell me your thoughts Reply with quote

Motherboard -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?Image=13-131-593-07.jpg%2c13-131-593-04.jpg%2c13-131-593-05.jpg%2c13-131-593-08.jpg%2c13-131-593-09.jpg%2c13-131-593-10.jpg%2c13-131-593-02.jpg&CurImage=13-131-593-04.jpg&Depa=1&Description=ASUS+CROSSHAIR+Socket+AM2+NVIDIA+nForce+590+SLI+MCP+ATX+AMD+Motherboard+-+Retail

Chip -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103773

Video -

SLI - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150173

Powersupply -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371001

Case, memory, DVD, etc. I already have taken care of.

Any of you computer tweakers see any problems or have any suggestions?

Thanks

Author
sCaryDeth
Post Ho

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good to me. I actually have the Intel version of that Motherboard. It's awesome and the onboard sound is actually quite amazing.

Author
{uZa}Dellis
Post Ho

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dude....I have a sound card but since just about everything I do is with headphones I use a generic SoundBlaster card but with those two video cards in SLI I may need to use the on board sound so good to know it sounds good.

Author
uZa Ten*K
Post Ho

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, this board comes with its own soundcard with multi jacks and fits into a special socket labeld "Supreme FX audio card slot" on the pic in your link, and it clears the upper pci-e x16 slot by a fair bit.

i have this same board... and it rocks. just make sure you don't use the little fan for the radiator if you are using a heatsink/fan... it's only to be used if you are water cooling.

asus also gives you a flexible sli bridge connector, so it can go over the slight bump of the gpu heatsink for the larger cards.

of course, i would have to say only that you may want to bump up the vid card for upcoming games if you aren't going bleeding edge this winter (when the next-gen cards are due), then I would say go with this 640MB version of the card for only another $100.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150240

Humanism- Less Filling, Tastes Great.

Author
sCaryDeth
Post Ho

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uZa Ten*K wrote:
no, this board comes with its own soundcard with multi jacks and fits into a special socket labeld "Supreme FX audio card slot" on the pic in your link, and it clears the upper pci-e x16 slot by a fair bit.

By "On board" I just meant that it comes with it.

Author
sCaryDeth
Post Ho

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I would have to agree with 10k on the Video card upgrade. If you want to really take advantage of DirectX10 in future games, you'll need the added memory.

However, if you're going SLI right off the bat, it's not THAT big of a concern.

Author
uZa Ten*K
Post Ho

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"no" was for dellis's concern over his soundblaster card... i know you know about the you-know-what, you know?

Author
sCaryDeth
Post Ho

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreakOfNature wrote:
Oh, and I would have to agree with 10k on the Video card upgrade. If you want to really take advantage of DirectX10 in future games, you'll need the added memory.

However, if you're going SLI right off the bat, it's not THAT big of a concern.

I found this tip on an official Microsoft "Vista Tips and Tricks" site and because it was related I thought I'd post it:

8. If you upgrade your graphics card in preparation for Windows Vista, be sure to get a new card with as much local memory as possible. Since Windows Vista renders everything—even the desktop and windows them-selves—as 3D surfaces, local 3D memory greatly improves performance...sometimes even more than a more powerful GPU.

Author
{uZa}Dellis
Post Ho

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK , thanks for the heads up guys, much appreciated.

I may take the advice on the $400 card....should I go with SLI then or just go solo for now?

Author
uZa Ten*K
Post Ho

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm... i would say the single higher capacity card would be more than adequate... save the rest for the next gen this winter (and sell the 8800gtx to a clan member who needs an upgrade... 75% of current market price at the time is good imo)

Author
HaZE
Frag Bait

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty decent system, but I would probably spend the extra $50 and get double the RAM on the video card: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=321103

Once the next gen XFX cards come out, you can probably find your second 8800GTS 640mb card for even less.

I currently have one XFX 8800GTS 320mb Xtreme (slightly factory overclocked) and I'm already kicking myself for not going with the 640mb cards. The 320mb card performs great, but for $100 more you could have 1024mb of video RAM when you run SLI.

Oh, and if you haven't already built the system, you may want to get this CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103191

Author
{uZa}Dellis
Post Ho

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up Haze. As of yet I have not built the system mainly because it will cost around $1,700.00 Shocked

I have added some extra goodies to it which increases the price...but it will be an awesome rig when completed Cool

Author
HaZE
Frag Bait

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a problem. I spent around $1500 on the system that I built recently.

One thing I forgot to mention in regards to the system you are building is that you may want a little more power (especially running SLI and connecting all sorts of other toys to the machine):

The PSU I ended up getting is: http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_details.php?cPath=52&pPath=383&productID=538

Another nice one from a quality manufacturer would be: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817371009

I would rather have a ton of potential power and not need it than not enough power for when I do need it. I think you would be set for a while with an 800w+ PSU.

Author
:[GOB]:JackC
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would avoid SLi if I were you matey. The performance increase isn't that great and you would be better off just buying a better, single card such as the 8800Ultra, or even wait for the 9600/9800 series to be released. They estimate performance at over 100% increase....but of course this comes with a hefty price tag, but it would be less of a sting if you kept the money for now.

Author
Spazz
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dellis, you are copying my set-up man.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> All Things Computers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: