Main Site | Forum Index | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |  Register |  Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

Hard Drive Upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> All Things Computers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author
{uZa}DeathByMunky
Post Ho

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Hard Drive Upgrade Reply with quote

I'm looking to upgrade my hard drive because the one I currently have is absolutely packed. This is the only part that I haven't upgraded before, so I had a few questions about it.

My current HD is roughly 120GB's.

Should I buy a large HD and use it and hang on to my current HD as a backup?

How do I transfer my files over?

If I were to keep both hard drives installed, how would they work along with one another? Could I simply drag and drop between HD's?

Sorry for my ignorance on this subject, but like I said, I've never messed with an upgrade of a hard drive or moving about of files between them.

Any help or links will be appreciated.

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you have a SATA hard drive now, you almost certainly have another SATA connection on your motherboard, so just buy the new drive and a SATA cable (usually not included, but only $8 or so. Be sure you have an extra SATA power connector from the power supply as well. If not, you will need some kind of spliter so you can get another power connection. Most recent cases / power supplies have tons of connections though, so chances are you are already good for power.

Connect the new hard drive, and use "Computer Management / Disk Management" in the "Administrative Tools" folder to partition the drive (NTFS). It will be assigned the next available drive letter. Then format it by right clicking the drive in "My Computer" and doing a "quick format".

Go into BIOS to be sure it is set to not be in the "boot" rotation, so it won't try to boot from it. Then just drag and drop stuff from your old hard drive as desired. Now you will have two hard drives, and can copy stuff back and forth as you like.

If you want to stay with only one hard drive, you can just replace the one you have with a nice big (350gig or something) new one. The best approach here is to buy the big new hard drive (and cable if needed) and hook it up. Disconnect the old drive's SATA cable, so Windows doesn't see it and get all confused about which drive you want to use as the boot / Windows drive. Then go into BIOS and tell it to boot from your CD/DVD drive first, then the new drive as second boot device. Now boot from your Windows CD and install Windows to the new drive, when it it done, reconnect the old drive, boot up, install your programs and copy all your data (my documents, call of duty stuff, etc, etc) from the OLD drive to the new big Windows drive. Then you can just format the old drive, take it out and give it to a friend or something.

Obviously quicker and easier to just add a new drive (whatever size you can afford) so you don't have to reinstall Windows and all your programs. Leave the old small Windows drive and just move stuff off of it over to the new drive to make room.

Eagle

Last edited by {uZa}Lonesome Eagle on Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:20 pm; edited 2 times in total

Author
{uZa}DeathByMunky
Post Ho

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response Eagle. You answered a lot of concerns I had.

Would you recommend buying and using a new HD by itself because of the faster speeds, or would it make that much of a difference than using it as a secondary drive?

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeathByMunky wrote:
Thanks for the quick response Eagle. You answered a lot of concerns I had.

Would you recommend buying and using a new HD by itself because of the faster speeds, or would it make that much of a difference than using it as a secondary drive?

If your old drive is slow (5400 rpm instead of 7200) then I would recommend the hassle of replacing the drive altogether, even though it means reinstalling Windows and all your programs. If it is fairly new, it should already be 7200 rpm, and I see no reason not to go with two hard dirves. You can check the specs for the drive by looking it up on the internet.

Eagle

________

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing of course is to ensure that your drive is SATA and not IDE. If it is SATA, it will have a thin data connection to the motherboard. If it is IDE, it will have a wide (like 30 pins) ribbon cable.

Everything I said above will still work with IDE (be sure to buy another IDE drive), but you will need to 1) make sure you have two heads on your IDE cable (or buy one with two heads if not) and 2) set both drives, using the jumpers on the botton / back to "cable select" and then connect the ribbon cable as needed to determine which drive is "master" and which is "slave". The connector at the END of the cable is for the "master, and the one in the middle is for the "slave".

Eagle

________

Author
{uZa}DeathByMunky
Post Ho

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my old one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148039

I guess I will be going with the 2 HD setup then. I'll search around for some deals and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for all your help Eagle. It's much appreciated.

Cool

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeathByMunky wrote:
Here is my old one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148039

I guess I will be going with the 2 HD setup then. I'll search around for some deals and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for all your help Eagle. It's much appreciated.

Cool

You should be able to pick up a Seagate 250gb SATA 7200 rpm drive for anywhere from $60-$80 no problem.

Eagle

________

Author
{uZa}HiTechRedneck
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer running 2+ drives... 1 for windows and programs, and the other(s) for file storage... Helps keep the fragmentation of the primary drive to a minimum, and also with 3 or 4 HDD's, I get excellent backup of files...

Author
{uZa}DeathByMunky
Post Ho

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HiTechRedneck wrote:
I prefer running 2+ drives... 1 for windows and programs, and the other(s) for file storage... Helps keep the fragmentation of the primary drive to a minimum, and also with 3 or 4 HDD's, I get excellent backup of files...

Yeah that's definately a good idea. I plan to move all my music, videos, pictures, and a few other basic applications to the other hard drive. That is what is taking up most of my memory anyway.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> All Things Computers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: