Main Site | Forum Index | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |  Register |  Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

9600 release

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> All Things Computers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author
uZa Ten*K
Post Ho

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: 9600 release Reply with quote

well, the nvidia 9600's are finally out. prices are well below $200 per, and if you are on a budget (and still using a 7 series card), here's your chance to cranks some FPS on the cheap.

honestly, I can't say I will be buying into this next round of video cards, because the PC gaming industry is sucking arse as far as keeping up with the technology, producing quality PC worthy games, and improving the genre.

Humanism- Less Filling, Tastes Great.

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: 9600 release Reply with quote

uZa Ten*K wrote:
well, the nvidia 9600's are finally out. prices are well below $200 per, and if you are on a budget (and still using a 7 series card), here's your chance to cranks some FPS on the cheap.

honestly, I can't say I will be buying into this next round of video cards, because the PC gaming industry is sucking arse as far as keeping up with the technology, producing quality PC worthy games, and improving the genre.

Most of you will already know this, but folks should be careful not to rush out and buy a 9600 if they already have one of the 8800 series cards, as in spite of the number, it is a step backwards. The 8800GT is much faster than the 9600. The 9600 is an inexpensive way to upgrade the 7 series cards (as 10K says) and is even a tad faster than the 8600 at a nice price, but is not the new gold standard...

Eagle

________

Author
{uZa}Bullet Sponge
Post Ho

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have an Nvidia 7600GS...what do you suggest I do?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

{uZa}Bullet Sponge wrote:
i have an Nvidia 7600GS...what do you suggest I do?

It's a bit of a moving target of course... You have three options in the nVidia line:

1) Upgrade to the 9600GT for $125-150 or so. This will give you a large increase over the 7600 for a relatively small cost. If you are on a budget and don't suffer from "my computer isn't any good cause it isn't the best available" syndrome like many of us do, it's not a bad choice.

2) Upgrade to the 8800GT. This will give you a huge increase, but will be more in the $255 range right now. You might want to wait a month, as number 3) below will cause the price of the 8800GT to drop pretty soon.

3) Wait about a month and the 9800's will be out. These will be relatively expensive, I'm guessing around $450 for the 9800GX/2 dual GPU cards, but I understand there should be a single-GPU 9800 available soon as well, probably in the $325 range. This card will just be stupidly fast, and should keep you close to the bleeding edge for a year or so, but not for the faint of wallet.

Note that the 9800GX/2 will require at least a 450 watt PSU, and you should probably be using a 500 watt or better really if you run more than one hard drive and even more if you have any extra fans or cooling gear installed. Keep this in mind if you have an older power supply.

Eagle

Last edited by {uZa}Lonesome Eagle on Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Author
{uZa}Bullet Sponge
Post Ho

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Eagle!!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Author
{uZa}Videoman
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup like eagle said i will be waiting on the 9800 cards myself but dam they need some seriuos power two run two man!!!!

Author
uZa Ten*K
Post Ho

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: 9600 release Reply with quote

{uZa}Lonesome Eagle wrote:
uZa Ten*K wrote:

Most of you will already know this, but folks should be careful not to rush out and buy a 9600 if they already have one of the 8800 series cards, as in spite of the number, it is a step backwards. The 8800GT is much faster than the 9600. The 9600 is an inexpensive way to upgrade the 7 series cards (as 10K says) and is even a tad faster than the 8600 at a nice price, but is not the new gold standard...

Eagle

like Eagle says, 10K says it's a good, cheap step up from a 7 series. Rolling Eyes

Author
uZa Ten*K
Post Ho

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the current rate of power use increase in video cards, you need only step outside at noon and look up to find the only thing capable of powering them within the next five years.

Author
{uZa}HiTechRedneck
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uZa Ten*K wrote:
at the current rate of power use increase in video cards, you need only step outside at noon and look up to find the only thing capable of powering them within the next five years.

Clouds???

Sorry, I live in Indiana... Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> All Things Computers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: