Main Site | Forum Index | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |  Register |  Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

Computer help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> All Things Computers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author
{uZa}fcbcynic
Post Ho

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Computer help Reply with quote

Ok, guys, I'm tapping into the uZa brain-trust and asking for help with building/buying a new computer. My son's hard drive is about to die and we need to get him a new computer. Money being tight and all, I want to spend as little as I can, so I'm looking for the best prices for the best quality (pretty much like any of you would).

I would ask that any of you who are knowledgeable about such things PM me with the best place to buy and the best hardware to get (I can print the PM's easier). My son does not do online gaming so the high end video card is not necessary. His primary uses are homework (internet) and music. He needs it to work faster than it currently does. More memory and anything else that helps speed things up. I wouldn't mind seeing prices on a good flat panel monitor either.

As for me, my hard drive seems to be on its last legs as well. I would like to upgrade to faster, more memory, better video card and sound card. Your help is solicited and appreciated.

Thanks, all.

Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage!

Author
Morgoth
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First.. you would want to build an AMD system as they are cheaper right now with equal performance for gaming.

A new motherboard would give you sata2 for the hd's, and a pci-x slot for the video. It would also give you ddr2 for the ram which would save you money as well right now.

A good video card for dirt cheap would be an 8600GTS, evga.. I use one, and love it.. I can crank Crysis up with no lag.. and i only have a gig of ram. COD4 runs absolutely awsome. Still... I only have 1 gig of ram.

A nice multi core AMD.. not top of the line.. a good upgradeable abit, asus, or gigabit motherboard with a single pci-x slot (only because I am anti-sli).

2x1GB of really good ram, i like corsairs pro or dominator series.

I am a fan of seagates sata2 perpendicular recording hd's... can get a 320GB for about $85.

A lot of mobos come with a seperate 5.1 or 7.1 soundcard.. I guess you can call it onboard.. but its not really. They work just fine... although I don't use mine.

Just make sure the existing case has plenty of ventilation. Or ghet a nice new aluminum antec midi tower Very Happy

I built my entire PC through www.newegg.com

Author
{uZa}Bullet Sponge
Post Ho

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is your budget Cynic...that way maybe other people can recommend different things to stay within the budget

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Author
{uZa}fcbcynic
Post Ho

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point BS. I'd like to stay under $500 per computer.

Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage!

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

{uZa}fcbcynic wrote:
Good point BS. I'd like to stay under $500 per computer.

It's going to be tough getting in under $500 per computer, unless the kids don't need to play 3D games and such which require 3D accelerated graphics capabilities. If they just do the Internet, Social Networks, Email, Homework (MS Office and such) and don't play a lot of computer games, there are lots of systems for around $500 with "integrated" graphics that won't play Crysis or even COD, but are fine for non-gaming.

If they can keep their existing monitors, keyboards, mice, and perhaps their CD/DVD drives you can save a lot of money. So then you would just need:

Motherboard
CPU
Memory
Hard drive
Case
Microsoft Windows (XP or Vista)

A decent low-end motherboard with integrated graphics (like Intel's GMA 950) and integrated sound will run you about $60, the CPU (say you go with a couple of generations back like an AMD 4000+ or something) will be another $50 or so, A GiG of DDR2 memory will be around $40-50 depending on the brand you buy. A SATA hard drive can be as cheap as $40 or so for an 80 or 100 GIG, or up to $150 for a large capacity drive.
A mid-tower case with at least 400 Watt power supply is another $50-60. If you already have Windows XP installation disks you are good for the OS, but if you have to buy XP or Vista (and I don't recommend Vista if you are going with less memory and a slower CPU and such) it's going to run your around $100.

That gets you in at around $400 (plus tax), but your kids won't be able to play the high end PC games (or only with graphics settings set to the most conservative in the game). If they mostly play games on consoles like the XBox or Nintendo and such, this might be a good option. If they (and you) want systems which can play the newer games reasonably well, with the ability to upgrade them as time goes on, you are probably going to end up at $800 to $1000 per system as the faster CPU, bigger power supply, decent graphics card, and more memory will ramp things up pretty quick.

Eagle

________

Author
{uZa}CreepeR
Frag Bait

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or hit up Scorpius for a Dell

Author
{uZa}CrazySpinner
Physco Killa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cynic,
Another question we would have is are you or someone you know going to do the upgrades/build? I think from previous conversations that you are not how they say "tech savvy", and if I'm wrong I apologize.
I recently built a friends computer for under $200, (same use as your son) and it had a gigabyte motherboard (integrated graphics and sound), AMD (single core, but I'm sure we could find a dual core for not much), 1GB Corsair Value Ram, WD HD (80GB, but a 160GB isn't much more). They reused their monitor, mouse, keyboard, and cd/rw drives. If you are going to reuse anything like that, it will definitely keep costs down. I had an extra OS, so that is what I used. If you need a new OS, that is extra cost of course. The money saved in your son's computer will help in going toward yours. Wink

Author
uZa Ten*K
Post Ho

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it's really a budget issue, and the kids aren't gaming, keep their pc and add a better cpu, swap the ram for the fastest the mobo will support, and replace the hard drive. you can do this for a hell of a lot less. don't forget to make sure you've got the latest bios version.

that offsets your budget for your gaming rig. were I to build a rig, I would focus on upgrade-ability. get a current socket mobo, a decent but cheaper cpu, and a cheaper 9600 series card. cases are important for cooling, and if you get one that's got adequate space (newer cards are BIG) now, its money you wont need to spend later.

look for "combo deals" on newegg. discounts can be anywhere from $10 to a heck of a lot more. the selections change weekly, so some frequent browsing could save you some major $$$.

http://www.newegg.com/Special/Combo.aspx?listType=combo&name=Combo-Deals

it's tight, but doable. if all else fails, put some the cost on a newegg credit account (don't go berserk)

Humanism- Less Filling, Tastes Great.

Author
{uZa}Lonesome Eagle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option if you are not comfortable with getting the right pieces (which work together correctly) online is to see if there is a large computer store in your area. Microcenter has pretty decent prices and nice sales, and you have the advantage of finding a reasonably knowledgeable salesperson and having them walk you though things.

http://www.microcenter.com/at_the_stores/index.html

Eagle

________

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Zark Alliance Forum Index -> All Things Computers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: