Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » {uZa}GENERAL FORUMS » The Lounge

Post subject: Today....
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:40 am 
Mucho Posto!
Mucho Posto!

Is the 65th anniversary of the launching of Operation Overlord in Normandy, France, 1944. The operation was known to be one of histories largest amphibious assaults, and is remembered for the great sacrifice that our brave and heroic veterans gave so that we may live free today. Just thought I'd take a few moments to remember those sacrifices they made on that day, and the many, many days that followed....

Post subject: Re: Today....
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:54 am 
Loves to Spam
Loves to Spam

Happy D-Day... Good day to watch Saving Private Ryan, The Longest Day or Band of Brothers.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:04 pm 
Mucho Posto!
Mucho Posto!

Nice post Mr.Brightside,God bless our American forces past and present. f01

Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:15 pm 
Mucho Posto!
Mucho Posto!

Well done, Brightside! We should never forget the sacrifices that were made for our freedoms.

I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery!

Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:24 pm 
Loves to Spam
Loves to Spam

Id like to thank my Grandfather, Who served with the Canadian 3rd army and stormed Juno, helping capture the town of Saint-Aubin-sur-Mer. He lost a Brother and Cousin during the Normandy Campaign.

And to all the others that have made the Ultimate Sacrafice

Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:37 pm 
Mucho Posto!
Mucho Posto!

It's a very important day, at least to me. I am so fascinated with WWII, most of all was this, the invasion of Normandy, and I've spent hours educating myself on this operation, mostly Omaha Beach, and I long to be able to visit the actual beach and the memorial over there. To be able to walk amongst the beach in which thousands of soldiers fought (including my grandfather) and died, shed their blood upon so that I may be here today will be an overwhelming feeling for me.

And I forgot one more little thing. One of my favorite scenes from one of my favorite movies ever, Saving Private Ryan. The opening scene.

And I just noticed I posted the same picture twice in the confusion of putting them up. Blast! Well, you get the idea. GOD BLESS OUR VETERANS AND OUR SOLDIERS WHO FIGHT THE SAME FIGHT TODAY!

Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:48 pm 
Mucho Posto!
Mucho Posto!

I, too, cannot get that scene out of my head. I feel no shame in admitting that I cannot watch it without crying. In fact, for my recent Appreciation of Music class in college, I wrote about the impact that music has on our life and how the music in that scene serves to bring to the viewer's mind's eye the feelings and suffering of James Ryan and those who fought alongside him. A very poignant scene indeed.

I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery!

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:23 pm 
Mucho Posto!
Mucho Posto!

I agree... The part where Ryan walks through the field is so overwhelmingly emotional for me. The music captures Ryan's anguish so well and the sacrifices of these men during the war. When I was young and I watched this movie, it never made much sense to me, this scene. But when I watched it a few weeks ago, it was suddenly different, and I actually got teary in this scene. It doesn't always bring me to tears when I watch it, but it's enough to send chills through me.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:49 pm 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

yeah me too!

The pics of the field of crosses also brings the reality of our losses and sacrifices really comes into perspective. My father served in WII in the pacific in the US Navy, along with two other uncles.

Board index » {uZa}GENERAL FORUMS » The Lounge